Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you take your child to a student?

Posted by   + Show Post
One of the colleges in our area offers a music therapy degree program and the last semester of their program they are required to do a practicum. So the school offers music therapy with the students for children with SNs throughout the community. There is no cost to the parents but the number of slots is dependent on the number of graduating students. The students in the program have a licensed therapist that oversees their sessions. We were lucky enough to get one of the slots this coming semester. I’m excited about it and don’t see a problem with it being taught by a student. In just a few short months these students will be in the real world on their own, I think it’s good experience. My mom however thinks it’s dangerous for a student to be working with kids. Ben is pretty high functioning and I think he will love this.

Would you be hesitant to sign your kids up for a program such as this?
by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 1:33 PM
Replies (11-13):
by on Jan. 11, 2018 at 9:51 AM

No I wouldn't. 

by on Jan. 13, 2018 at 7:20 PM

This is a wonderful opportunity to help your child and help the student gain valuable knowledge and experience.

by Member on Jan. 14, 2018 at 10:53 AM

Absolutely!!! It is no different than seeing a medical resident or having a pharmacy student work on your prescription. Students are a great way to get quality care that would otherwise be expensive and possibly not covered by insurance. I am opening a new school in our area and while we have one instructor for every 22 students, but  we have a ton of guides and helpers, who are students in everything from dance and music to therapy, education and even woodworking and welding, We also have family members and volunteers that bring the ratio down to between 1 and 3 kids per adult depending on the area the kids are in and the child's needs. It allows the kids to learn in a way that suits them best while encouraging independence and maintaining safety.  If we were to hire that staff even part-time the tuition would go from $12,000 for a 12 month year to $60,000 for a full year student. That would leave most kids unable to attend as our financial assistance funds are limited.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)