Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to Proceed....

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2018 at 4:11 PM
  • 11 Replies
DS is 17, and will (one way or another) be graduating high school in the spring. He has always done well in school, grade wise, until recently. The closer it gets to the end of school, the more apathetic he seems to get. Traditional college isn't an option for him. We've discussed the idea of trade school, but he doesn't seem interested in that either. He is in a work study program at school, and he has excelled at working in a nursing home that is around the corner from our house. I'd like to get him a job there, but I'm not optimistic about his chances. I'm just at a loss as to what to do next. How can I help him proceed to the next part of his life when I don't know what that is?
by on Jan. 11, 2018 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 4:57 PM

Personally, all you can do is try. Have him apply to various places where you know he'd do decently and hopefully he can get hired. If he isn't wanting trade school than you can't really force that but getting a job of some kind should be doable (but I don't know your area).

alexsmommy51405
by Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Nursing school maybe?

If he likes working at the nursing home then maybe going to nursing school so he could make money and work there would be best. 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 5:39 PM
I too think if he is interested in the nursing home than maybe trying to get a job there p/t with maybe 1 CC classes for nursing school or hospital (?) that may have training?

daisy102601
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 6:22 PM
Thanks ladies. I think I may contact them and see if they would be willing to work with him since they know him and have seen some of his limitations. I doubt that further schooling is in the cards for him for the next few years, so hopefully that won't keep him from being able to work there.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 11, 2018 at 8:25 PM
Are there any programs in your area that help individuals get jobs who have limitations?
MomAnn10
by on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:22 PM

There are Nursing Assistant Training Programs that offer a short course that certify the students so they can perform Nursing Assisant duties.  You can offer suggestions, but at this age, it is best if he leads the way. What does he do in his spare time? Has the guidance counselor been any help at school? He could make an appointment and see what his counselor suggests for kids who are not college bound.  I hope he can find something that he likes and can earn a living from.  

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he have an IEP? If so, he, by law needed to have a transition plan by the time he was 16, but preferably by 14. They should do aptitude test or 2 or 3. He needs to know he has a future, otherwise he is probably scared of growing up and the Independence it means. He needs an assessment of his life skills and future choices. If he has not been prepared, you can push for another year, up to the age of 21.

daisy102601
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 7:23 PM
He does have an IEP, but his transition plan basically consists of " Are you planning on living at home? Yes? Then you're set". I have a meeting scheduled with his social worker (no guidance counselor at school, just social workers) so we'll see what happens.

Quoting MamaLauri:

Does he have an IEP? If so, he, by law needed to have a transition plan by the time he was 16, but preferably by 14. They should do aptitude test or 2 or 3. He needs to know he has a future, otherwise he is probably scared of growing up and the Independence it means. He needs an assessment of his life skills and future choices. If he has not been prepared, you can push for another year, up to the age of 21.

anacaonapr
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 2:51 PM
Hello. I don't any of his talents as well street and weakness. While he is at school, he could get his certification on cna certified nurse assistance. Then he can work at a local snf, hospital or nursing home.

He could go to very small college to try get some degree. Make him take one or two classes as "testing period". May be is afraid of the transition.if he has someone he knows and trust the possibilities to stay is higher.

I don't where do you live, in my hometown they offered a vocational program to help get enough skills for school or work. Even they might provide a stipend, and assistive tecnology.

catmomtoo
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 3:03 PM

There are positions called cna's at nursing homes, They have to go to school I think bur it isn't for years. It may be on the job schooling. I used to know someone that was a cna, but it has been a long time and don't remember if she went to school while she worked there or before. 

My son is graduating this year. No intention of going to college.  I think they are just tired of all the stress of school and don't want to face any more of it.  Luckily he just started getting medical ssi, so he can go find a job that will fit him and have some support till he does find the right fit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)