Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you had to put a pet down?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 3:58 PM
  • 15 Replies
How did you approach it with your kiddo? Out dog Is doing really bad and I think it’s time to have him put down. I’m not sure how Abby is going to take it, we had one cat just go missing a few years ago he was old and I told the kids he probably passed away and Abby didn’t really react but this feels different to me.
Also she doesn’t believe in heaven or anything like that, we’ve had that conversation before to her when you die that’s it. I’m actually more worried about my son I guess he’s pretty attached to this dog, I’m having a really hard time with it too.
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:36 PM
She never really reacted but neither did my other kids. Part of the cycle of life.
Gloria1025
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 5:27 AM
Hugs - I am sorry sorry you are going through this. My son took it very hard. We were very honest with him and he snuggled our dog and said goodbye but he could tell our dog was not alright. We didn't tell him we put him down, just that he died. It started a year of discussions about death and what happens. My son thinks very deeply about things and it took him a year to process and he had a lot of times of deep sadness etc. He still gets sad but finally 2 years later can talk about the happy times with our dog not just the sadness of missing him. It's hard but part of life. Going through it I think prepared my son and helped him get through the loss of my dad last year. Big hugs for all of you!
Macphee
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 8:07 AM
Hugs mama. We had to put our Zeus down. Our friend showed us the rainbow bridge poem

So Everytime my kids see one, it's more tangible than heaven.

I will warn you, D's ran off saying he had to find his lost dog until then.

We also talk about him in the present and my kids say they see him. It hurts, bad but the pain becomes nostalgia.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM
I was JUST thinking about our black lab who we put down 1/4/13(?) this AM. Then I opened this post.
Weird.

Hard day.
Sam wasn’t all that botgered, but he was 7? And for most of his life Black lab was old, not interactive, crotchety, with an attidude (oh, right she ALWAYS had that attitude!)
We had to put a moratorium on discussing getting a new dog. He asked that day!
Put pup down at 2pm. He came home from school & we told him. He said “sorry” - we had known she had cancer since September- “when can we get a new dog?”

LCWAmommy
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 1:04 PM
My husband just took him in, Abby gave him a hug and is sitting on the couch with our other dog and her stuffed cheetah. :( he was a good boy.

Quoting SamMom912: I was JUST thinking about our black lab who we put down 1/4/13(?) this AM. Then I opened this post.
Weird.

Hard day.
Sam wasn’t all that botgered, but he was 7? And for most of his life Black lab was old, not interactive, crotchety, with an attidude (oh, right she ALWAYS had that attitude!)
Put pup down at 2pm. He came home from school & we told him. He said “sorry” - we had known she had cancer since September- “when can we get a new dog?”

perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 2:01 PM

It is hard. We are about to deal with it as well. Our cat disapeared last night and we can't find him. Plus, we think our dog has cancer adn will find out Tuesday. I really hope the cat comes back- everyone is pretty upset.

LCWAmommy
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 2:07 PM
The vet told my husband it looked like a fast spreading cancer, and we made the right choice. He was fine just a few weeks ago then I noticed he had lost a little weight so I started feeding him more. Thursday night his face was huge and I don’t think he could breathe well. He was almost 11 and had a lot of love and a good life, but it’s still hard.

Quoting perrywinkle:

It is hard. We are about to deal with it as well. Our cat disapeared last night and we can't find him. Plus, we think our dog has cancer adn will find out Tuesday. I really hope the cat comes back- everyone is pretty upset.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 2:50 PM
Im deeply sorry about the loss of your furry friend.
Wishing him unlimited running, sniffing, chewing and marking across Rainbow Bridge.
May your wonderful memories of your sweet boy help you through this tough time.

Its so hard, their sweet souls keep us company too short a time in this world.

😩😢

Quoting LCWAmommy: My husband just took him in, Abby gave him a hug and is sitting on the couch with our other dog and her stuffed cheetah. :( he was a good boy.

Quoting SamMom912: I was JUST thinking about our black lab who we put down 1/4/13(?) this AM. Then I opened this post.
Weird.

Hard day.

LCWAmommy
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you, he was a good little piggy, we will miss him.

Quoting SamMom912: Im deeply sorry about the loss of your furry friend.
Wishing him unlimited running, sniffing, chewing and marking across Rainbow Bridge.
May your wonderful memories of your sweet boy help you through this tough time.

Its so hard, their sweet souls keep us company too short a time in this world.

😩😢

Quoting LCWAmommy: My husband just took him in, Abby gave him a hug and is sitting on the couch with our other dog and her stuffed cheetah. :( he was a good boy.

Weird.

Hard day.

lpn54
by Member on Feb. 11, 2018 at 6:15 AM
Yes 3times
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)