Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on my son.

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2018 at 10:04 AM
  • 4 Replies
I don’t know if anyone remembers me or not but a few months ago I made a post about my youngest son. He has some significant delays but we are still trying to figure out why. We’ve made some progress since my last post and I thought I would share.

So far he’s been officially diagnosed with mixed expressive-receptive language disorder. He is 4.5 but his language is that of 2 year old. He is receiving speech therapy two days a week. I’ve already seen a lot of improvement. We were bumped up on the waiting list for OT because his speech therapist has many concerns. We were on a 12 month wait, now we only have a month or so. She’s been using a weighted vest and music to work with him which really seem to help.

Since he was diagnosed outside of school his school and teacher pushed for further evaluations. I got the results last week which showed moderate to severe delays in all 5 areas (physical, adaptive, social/emotional, cognitive, and communication). I am meeting with the school psychologist next week to discuss placing him in a special education class instead Kindergarten next year. I’ll also find out what other services are available for him.

I am still kind of at a loss at what all this means. He’s so intelligent in some areas but then there are areas he’s on the level of an 18 month old. His teacher has said he’s so unusual she doesn’t even know what to make of it.

I am pleased with the progress but I hope to find more answers so I can really understand what’s going on with him. This whole process has been very emotional and bittersweet.
by on Feb. 27, 2018 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like he is on a good path and getting lots of support. Hoping school & supports go well too.
by Karen on Feb. 28, 2018 at 1:09 PM

sounds like you are getting things moving forward. Will keep good thoughts that the school provides the support he needs.

by Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM

I agree with the previous posters:  it sounds like he's making progress and you're doing what's best for your child.

As to the uneven progress, that's how I often explain my son's progress.  It's uneven.  He has the vocabulary of a much younger child, but is able to communicate his wants and needs with a combination of pictures, gestures, a few words, an ipad.  He associates certain obejcts with an activity.  For example, we have a certain backpack we use to go swimming at the Y, so he gets it and puts bathing suits in it if he wants to go swimming.  If he wants to go outside, he gets my sunglasses, because I usually wear them outside.  He is very much a visual learner.  Show him something a couple of times and he knows how to do it.  So, he's obviously intelligent, but is behind in many areas.  I think it's pretty common with autism and sensory processing disorder and language delays.

by Carissa on Mar. 1, 2018 at 4:22 PM
THanks for the update. I do check in from time to time just to see updates and what’s up with our kiddos. It is so overwhelming at first but hang in there!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)