Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you prepare for their IEP meetings?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2018 at 1:26 AM
  • 7 Replies

??

by on Mar. 1, 2018 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 8:36 AM
I review Sams progress report (usually mailed home each 1/4) before meeting. I look at the goals to see if theyre measurable, if he is headibg in the right direction, I look to see if they are reasonable for Sam. I typically ask the provider during the meeting Why goal isnt being reached, whats getting in the way and problem solve with them on how to either change goal/modify goal, or TRY DESPERATELY to get them to look at what THEY are doing/saying/thinking that is not helping the situation.

(Not sure if that last statement will make sense to everyone).

I talk about things Id like addressed, issues, concerns. Paving a pth for the future both short and long term goals. Reaffirm what I feel is important for Sam to learn/grasp and TRY to get them on board.

Listen to their feedback. (Biting my tongue mostly) since many teachers/providers like to use words to take away their responsibility (hes just lazy- certainly leaves THEM off the hook to change) and leave things without a plan... and I am against that completely. Cause I believe “lazy” “unmotivated” is a cop out that leaves only Sam responsible to change and WE as the adults need to help him by incentivizing, engaging, setting managable reachable goals, in order to help Sam and to force the teachers and adults to help and no just throw their hands up & walk away. Cause that DOESNT help sam, thats not doing their job, and honestly, thats lazy! My kid has disabilities, whats their reasoning? Lol
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 1, 2018 at 9:19 AM
I dont right now. I do still prepare for my monthly parent meetings with ABA center (cheyanne in full time aba no school right now). But its not near as streeful as ieps. It is depressing though when we go over vbmapp and other assessments every 6 months seeing how far behind she still is.
LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I get their behavior case manager and we go to the meeting. I don't prepare other than that.

emarin77
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:53 AM

Make sure diagnosis have symptoms and needs written.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2018 at 8:31 PM
My preparation seems to be increase anxiety and stress, lose sleep, face breaks out, and throw up an hour before the meeting. Is that not the standard??

And I take my ABA team with me for support.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2018 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
(((((((Hug)))))))

Quoting Momof4AEMW: My preparation seems to be increase anxiety and stress, lose sleep, face breaks out, and throw up an hour before the meeting. Is that not the standard??

And I take my ABA team with me for support.
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Mar. 13, 2018 at 9:47 PM
Depends on the kid. Xavier they send home forms to fill out. Strength, weakness, things you feel are going well things not going so well. Parent concern, private therapist concerns, kirch center concern etc. The teacher fills one out. We exchange the forms. We talk on the phone. Then the Cpse chairperson calls we talk. No major surprises.

Lily we used the test, worksheets, homework, emails between the teacher and I. But they denied her IEP over the summer and has a 504 plan instead. I just speak with the principal directly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)