Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on my DD

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2018 at 5:18 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hello everyone : ) 

I just wanted to update everyone on my 11 yr old DD. My DD besides ASD and all that comes with it my daughter has been dealing with depression lately. It is all due to her being bullied a lot last year and a bit this year. She has been alerting the adults in her school but not much has been done to the bullies so it is continued to happen no matter how much she tells them about her situation. She is in 5th grade and mainstreamed always has been but for some reason, everything has turned for the worse for DD in her school. She has made the A-B Honor roll for a couple of years so I know she is doing okay education wise but socially with peers it is rocky. Yesterday there was an emergency mental health call from her school. The School has let this go on for so long and allowing the bullies to target her that she took what the kids told her a couple months ago to heart. They point blank told her to kill herself , she was fat and needed to die in a hole. The principle is laughing it off as if that is normal not doing a thing to these other kids and made my daughter report to the school counselor for 2 months. Anyway, my daughter started having suicidal thoughts because of the bullying so right now my daughter was admitted last night to the children's ward in a mental hospital for a week. I am HIGHLY upset how the school played it off that DD feeling the way she did was normal. Also, she mentioned DD needed "me time" at recess which came to find out that "me time" was when kids didn't want to play with her at recess and she is playing by herself. She only has 3 months left and there are no other schools to enroll her in at this time so maybe if she can pull through these 3 months I plan on moving to a better area with better schools. 

by on Mar. 6, 2018 at 5:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2018 at 8:41 AM
Oh I am SO sorry.

With no other schools.... gosh Id HATE to send my kid back to such a toxic unaccepting environment.
Are you home? Do you work?
My son in 4th grade was removed from his program, and didnt have a school Feb-June. We had a teacher come to the house w/ work for 1 hr a day. Since on his iep he was to recieve ot & speech those therapists came to my home 2xs a week for 45 min a visit.

This got him thru til a school placement was found. Not being in a toxic environment for those months was a decent improvement for his self esteem and affect.

Id talk with the SWs at your DDs current hospital and find out where they think your DD may flourish. Perhaps there IS a school you dont know about.
Its not unheard of for districts to keep parents from knowing what out of district opportunities are there so they dont have to pay. 🤬
TheOnlyCrystalD
by on Mar. 7, 2018 at 6:26 AM

Thanks for your info I am looking at alternative schools that have scholarships and or pay scale. There is one not too far they do hands-on life skill learning ie helping on farms, learning trades besides required learning materials.I think that environment would suit her better especially with her depression and getting her out of that toxic Elementary School.She seems much happier though she is hospitalized I think she feels relief at this point. She is happy at home but she is 100% different at school and now I understand why. I was kept in the dark about a lot of what has been going on so I feel guilty that I couldn't do anything when it first started going on. The school took it upon themselves to "resolve" the situation but as you can see it put my daughter in a dangerous place in her young life.No child should be a target and it was the adults in the school who made her a target by ignoring the situations and telling DD that playing by herself was okay because it was her "me time". What kid wants to play alone and be bullied I know I didn't as a kid. I am also going to do as you mentioned I think my daughter's mental health caseworker could get an iep for Cathy that would have someone come out and have DD do some school work at home until she is placed at the alternative school.I will be talking with the hospital as well because they would know of more resources that can help with getting DD out of that school and in a safer environment.

Quoting SamMom912: Oh I am SO sorry. With no other schools.... gosh Id HATE to send my kid back to such a toxic unaccepting environment. Are you home? Do you work? My son in 4th grade was removed from his program, and didnt have a school Feb-June. We had a teacher come to the house w/ work for 1 hr a day. Since on his iep he was to recieve ot & speech those therapists came to my home 2xs a week for 45 min a visit. This got him thru til a school placement was found. Not being in a toxic environment for those months was a decent improvement for his self esteem and affect. Id talk with the SWs at your DDs current hospital and find out where they think your DD may flourish. Perhaps there IS a school you dont know about. Its not unheard of for districts to keep parents from knowing what out of district opportunities are there so they dont have to pay. 🤬

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 7:51 AM
I fought my school to pay for my childs private school since they didn’t have an appropriate placement.

The law says your child is entitled to FAPE. Free and appropriate education. It sounds like thisschool was not helping her socially or emotionally (which are her disability!) perhaps you could contact an educational advocate to discuss if you could pressure your school for an alternate placement at their expense?

The SW at my sons hospital wrote a letter fully in support of a placement that would fit him that she knew the school didnt have. My son needed a highly academic, 8-12 kid classroom in a therapeutic setting.
That was NOT the description of anything available at my local school.

Quoting TheOnlyCrystalD:

Thanks for your info I am looking at alternative schools that have scholarships and or pay scale. There is one not too far they do hands-on life skill learning ie helping on farms, learning trades besides required learning materials.I think that environment would suit her better especially with her depression and getting her out of that toxic Elementary School.She seems much happier though she is hospitalized I think she feels relief at this point. She is happy at home but she is 100% different at school and now I understand why. I was kept in the dark about a lot of what has been going on so I feel guilty that I couldn't do anything when it first started going on. The school took it upon themselves to "resolve" the situation but as you can see it put my daughter in a dangerous place in her young life.No child should be a target and it was the adults in the school who made her a target by ignoring the situations and telling DD that playing by herself was okay because it was her "me time". What kid wants to play alone and be bullied I know I didn't as a kid. I am also going to do as you mentioned I think my daughter's mental health caseworker could get an iep for Cathy that would have someone come out and have DD do some school work at home until she is placed at the alternative school.I will be talking with the hospital as well because they would know of more resources that can help with getting DD out of that school and in a safer environment.

Quoting SamMom912: Oh I am SO sorry.

With no other schools.... gosh Id HATE to send my kid back to such a toxic unaccepting environment.

Are you home? Do you work?

My son in 4th grade was removed from his program, and didnt have a school Feb-June. We had a teacher come to the house w/ work for 1 hr a day. Since on his iep he was to recieve ot & speech those therapists came to my home 2xs a week for 45 min a visit.

This got him thru til a school placement was found. Not being in a toxic environment for those months was a decent improvement for his self esteem and affect.

Id talk with the SWs at your DDs current hospital and find out where they think your DD may flourish. Perhaps there IS a school you dont know about.

Its not unheard of for districts to keep parents from knowing what out of district opportunities are there so they dont have to pay. �

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2018 at 8:20 PM
So sorry to hear this!! I hope things improve for you both soon!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)