Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you help others during the holidays?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM
  • 14 Replies

I thought it would be a great idea to start of this group by sharing ways that we help out others during the holiday season (or throughout the year.)  Big effort or small effort, it all makes a difference.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
plomboy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM

We donated coats to the coat drive, food to the  food drive and donated furniture and clothes, and other sundries to the local RE-UZ IT shop.

Just trying to help out those in need.

We have been there and we know what that is like . So we felt it was our obligation to help out those that are where we were.

kyledavidsmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM

We donate all the kids old toys and clothes to shelters. My husband and 2 older gets help feed the homeless. That way they can see that not everyone has it as good as others. Than they each buy 1 toy out of their won money for toys for tots.

We than bake cookies and pass them out in our complex.

liz.1986
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

This year, I'm going to have my boys pick a toy they want for Christmas, wrap it, and give it Toys for Tots.

yogapantz
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I work retail, so the way I help people is to give good customer service. If you come to my store, I will know what you're talking about, know where it is, know how to check the price, and will completely overlook it if you're being snippy because of all the other bad experiences you had that day. I'll even turn off the music if Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer starts giving you the twitchy eye.

MynTop
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I donated all my youngest's hand me down clothes to our elementary school where they use some for the kids who don't have spare clothes in their back packs, but some were given to the High School's clothing drive, and some were given to some needy families within our school.

My son is raising money to make meals for the hungry with his Cub Scout Pack.  The pack also meets once a month in front of the church to get donations for the Food Bank.

Linds2Horse
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Fifteen years ago my mom and her friends learned about a group of homeless teens that weren't getting anything for Christmas. Because of their ages they weren't eligible for Toys for Tots, and because they were homeless they weren't eligible for Family Giving Trees.  Concerned my mom and her frieds made 20 gift baskets  for those teens.  One teen, in complete tears of happiness, said the gift basket was the only personal items that she had received in two years.  That year Gifts for Teens was born.

I joined the second year and the program has grown considerably over the past 14 years.  This year we are giving away 1600 (!) gift backpacks.  The packs are filled with items donated by large companies and Nike generously supplies us with 1000 new shoes each year with eBay making up the difference.  Our program has grown quickly and we are no longer able to fill the backpacks in our garages.  My employer gratiously stepped up and offered us the use of an warehouse for two weeks.  With just a simple email to my coworkers and a small article in our local newspaper, more than 300 volunteer shifts were filled within a week.

I'm amazed at how quickly the need for this program has grown, but I'm even more amazed at how generously people and corporations are willing to help others.

Linds2Horse
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Quoting yogapantz:

I work retail, so the way I help people is to give good customer service. If you come to my store, I will know what you're talking about, know where it is, know how to check the price, and will completely overlook it if you're being snippy because of all the other bad experiences you had that day. I'll even turn off the music if Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer starts giving you the twitchy eye.

I need to shop in your store. I would definitely leave a happy shopper.

Linds2Horse
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Quoting liz.1986:

This year, I'm going to have my boys pick a toy they want for Christmas, wrap it, and give it Toys for Tots.

That's a great idea. They look young in your avatar picture. It's never to early to start.

mybratsmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM

We do Toys for Tots every year (we're Marines, so we feel it's mandatory charity).  We also pick off the local Wishmas Tree, a tree with names of foster kids and a request for an item.  Every year my kids buy the child they picked something and then make them a card letting them know that they are included in our prayers.  We donate all year long: clothes, food, toys, money - whatever it takes.  And this year I budgeted and saved enough money to donate a dairy animal to a family in need through Samaritan's Purse.  I am very excited about being able to financially reach this goal, and will be aiming bigger next year!

Linds2Horse
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Quoting plomboy:

We donated coats to the coat drive, food to the  food drive and donated furniture and clothes, and other sundries to the local RE-UZ IT shop.

Just trying to help out those in need.

We have been there and we know what that is like . So we felt it was our obligation to help out those that are where we were.

Those soaps and shampoos that we collect (but never use) from hotels are great items to donate.  One year a 'boutique' hotel donated fancy soaps to our program and the teens squealed with delight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)