Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's Make-A-Wish trip

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM
  • 28 Replies

This group makes me SO happy.

In January of this year, my oldest son had his 3rd and 4th brain surgeries. They removed most of the left hemisphere of his brain to stop his 300+ seizures a day. In between the two surgeries, he had to lay in restraints for 7 days with his skull open and wires coming out of his brain. He was in SO much pain even huge ammounts of morphine couldn't take it away. My husband and I suffered with him and felt it all in our very souls. The fear was like nothing you can imagine unless you've been there.

On day 3, I got a phone call from Make-A-Wish tell us that Elijah's wish was going to be granted!! Suddenly there was an end in sight and something to look forward to and talk about and dream about and plan for in the midst of the worst weeks of our lives.

My son wished to spend his 8th birthday with Mickey Mouse. His birthday is April 14th, and he was exactly 3 months post op. He had more fun and magic and laughter than ever before. He learned to trust that not every strange person that's nice to him is going to poke or prod or cut into him. He learned to be a kid again. It was, and will always be, the most amazing week of our lives!

Thank you for writing a letter and supporting this incredible foundation!

~Elyssa~

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmiller83
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Elyssa, your story does, and always will bring tears to my eyes!! You are an incredible family with an incredible son.

courtneycra
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM
awww i am sooo happy his wish came true! It must have been a long road for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM

What an adorable little boy! My youngest is the same age...I'm so glad that your son got to spend his birthday with Mickey Mouse...How is he doing now?

KBix
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:54 PM
Omg this was such a beatiful story. May god bless your family and your incredible son
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristinRox
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM

This made me cry. Stories like these are why I love the Make A Wish Foundation. Im so happy that your son was able to go and make memories and enjoy the magic of mickey mouse.

kathy067j
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:58 PM

We will do Everything in this group for you and make a wish. I will do my best to help all the children in Make a wish.Thank you for sharing your story. Its has touched my soul

Elyssa414
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

He has blown us all away! His neurosurgeons and doctors are AMAZED by his progress these last months. Here is his latest update:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/elijah414

Quoting cjsix:

What an adorable little boy! My youngest is the same age...I'm so glad that your son got to spend his birthday with Mickey Mouse...How is he doing now?

~Elyssa~

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Snewo
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Awwww!!! That's amazing! I am so glad he got to do that.

TempestRayne
by Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM

that's fantastic!

TwiPottermommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM

This also makes me cry!  God bless him and your family and I am so glad he got to do that!  It makes my heart smile to know that there are still good things in this world and people to help make dreams come true!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)