Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone taking self defense courses or shooting lessons?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 734 Total Views
I'm looking at doing a running column for the magazine focusing in women in a zombie apocolypse, and highlighting the fact that we can be just as prepared and capable as any man.

(Lori's speech got me a little riled up on Sunday night.)

So, I'd like to do a running column focused in real women and what they do for self-defense/protection. I'm getting a gun, my hubs and I are going to go 50/50 on the gun of my zombie killing dreams. But learning to load, clean, and shoot is going to be a process.

If anyone else is planning on learning gun basics, archery, or even taking a self defense course, and you are up for taking pics of the process and being interviewed, please let me know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyce225
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I know how to load, clean and shoot.  Me and dh go shooting a lot. I even got a gun that when you squeeze the handle it has a laser beam on it, a sure shot to the head, lol.

My 12 year old son has taken archery classes and will continue to this summer.  

I haven't really thought about a self defense class.  Unfortunately with my back I doubt my Dr would allow me to go.  I'm not even allowed to bend over forward to tie my shoes so I doubt being thrown around is a good idea.   I would love to take a knife class though, people just look so badass when they kill with knives.

Casey when we meet in Utah we will go shooting together, it's so much fun.

oddgirl
by House Stark on Mar. 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM

We recently bought a gun but I haven't had a chance to shoot it.  My dh and I have gone to shooting ranges before we had our own gun,  and I grew up in a family of hunters, so I've been around guns for most of my life. 

Having watched way too much Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Xena Warrior Princess in the 90's, I have taken boxing and kick boxing classes that involved heavy bags and light sparring.  More recently I've become involved in sword fighting.  The sword fighting group is probably the closest I've come to real fighting, I've injured and have been injured.  A lot of my fellow sword fighters joke about concentrating on the beheading cuts to take out the zombies. 

I'm also planning to get my family some archery lessons this summer because I think it would be useful as well as a fun family activity. 

I'm purusing all of these activites out of personal interest, but I figure it can't hurt to know how to throw a punch, shoot a gun, or deliver a killing blow with a sword. Heh.

Gorilla_Mama
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM

My DH and I both have our CPLs (concealed pistol license) and although he hates to admit it, I'm a better shot then he is. When we go out we both have a gun strapped to our hip, at home they're usually on the top shelf in our closet which I have to stand on tipeytoes to reach, although sometimes DH has his on when he's running around the yard in case he sees a fox/raccoon/possum/etc

I took a home defense class to get it and they taught us all about the guns themselves, the types of bullets, how to clean and care for your gun. They also went over being aware of your surroundings and such. They went over soooo much useful information before putting a gun in our hands and teaching us how to shoot. I thought it was a great class.

gummybearjunkie
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Yea, Lori kid of ticked me off. Like we "women-folk" have to do all the washing and cooking, etc. No, I don't think so!

I have already had shooting training. I keep a handgun. I can clean, load, and shoot it with no problem. Dh does the archery thing, he spent enough on his bow for both of us so I will let him have that. lol

FrenchGrey
by Lieutenant Governor on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I want to learn how to handle a bow....I've talked to casey about just walking into the archery shop next to my gym and saying "Hi! I have no clue about bows and arrows but I'd like to learn to kill zombies!" and just see what they say LOL! 

LFosterfarm
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I had no idea there was a walking dead forum!!!  wahoo, I tried not to watch and get hooked on yet another show, but alas it happened and yes ma'am I can shoot a gun, grew up hunting with my dad, hubby has an arsenal here, all locked up, and going to take the kids out this summer or when ever the wind stops blowing around here and teach them what they need to know about safety, shooting, and self defence!

corbysmom531
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM

We're going to take gun classes, but I'm not sure when.  We've both shot guns before, but we don't really know how to handle them.  We hope to remedy that by Summer.  I'd be happy to be "followed", but it might be a few months.  lol

Svenia
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM

We have a few rifles, a shotgun and we both each have a handgun.  We are signed up for a concealed carry class at the end of April.  We also have a bow and arrows that we play with in the back yard and are both fairly accurate.  (If I had a use for it, I'd get a fun crossbow like Darrel, LOL) 

anon1986East
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM

My dad is a former amateur boxer, he taught us to fight. I started learning how to shoot at the age of 14, thanks to my dad and grandfather. I own guns and was taught how to clean, load, and shoot them by my dad. I often go to the shooting range with my brothers and sister. I want to work on my accuracy with a long range rifle next. I often joke with my family about what we'll do in the event of a zombie apocalypse - first thing is getting us all together (four of my brothers are soldiers so their training will probably come in handy) and then we're raiding the pharmacy - I unfortunately need several medications to live and without those I'd either die a slow painful death or live in agony depending on the severity of my symptoms.

anon1986East
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM

lol sounds like my brother, Silas, he has guns but then got interested in archery. When our mom asked him why, he said it was to kill hordes of the undead with a completely serious look on his face. We found out later from his girlfriend when he walked into the store and started talking to the clerk there he told the guy the same thing.

Quoting FrenchGrey:

I want to learn how to handle a bow....I've talked to casey about just walking into the archery shop next to my gym and saying "Hi! I have no clue about bows and arrows but I'd like to learn to kill zombies!" and just see what they say LOL! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)