Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need ideas:) *update & pics!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 260 Total Views

So my anniversary is comming up. Its our 4th. We always exchange the traditional gifts. As we are broke right now I'm trying to be creative. The traditional gift for this year is fruit/flowers. I wanted to get him a real banjo, but thats not going to happen. So I have an idea in my head just not sure how it will work. I want to make a banjo and put his favorite flowers inside the banjo. I thought I could paper mache a bowl and then put the string part somehow. I don't know yet...Any ideas ladies?

by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oldfashionSAHM
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 7:04 PM

i have no idea but would love to see a picture when your done. if you figure something out.

IndianaJones
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Google how to make banjos.  I found several neat ideas on homemade instruments..one even being made with a cigar box.  I know there are all sorts of ideas for homemade instruments b/c I was just looking to make me a harp!

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jan. 25, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Ok, so I just broke down and bought him a real banjo off ebay!!! So I think I'll just decorate it with flowers:) I just hope it arrives on time. Its supposed to arrive on the second which is our anniversary!

oldfashionSAHM
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM

yeah i usually end you buyng something too. not that it's what i want to do. but when it comes to dh since he is so picky and modern-day.

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jan. 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Just got his banjo today. I should of waited to get him the real deal..I'm paying for it now literally lol. I just wanted to do something special. He is always so creative and thoughtful. I always seem to fail in the gift department for him. I should of just made him a fake banjo like I was going to do. Oh well lol. It's just a temorary monetary set back, right? lol

oldfashionSAHM
by on Jan. 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Quoting Roisin07:

Just got his banjo today. I should of waited to get him the real deal..I'm paying for it now literally lol. I just wanted to do something special. He is always so creative and thoughtful. I always seem to fail in the gift department for him. I should of just made him a fake banjo like I was going to do. Oh well lol. It's just a temorary monetary set back, right? lol

i bet he will love it all the same.....

Come check out my groups

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Feb. 2, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Ok ladies I really screwed up I think. I bought this banjo and as I said it was cheap for a banjo, but I figured he don't need anything expensive to learn on. So I was trying to tune it and there is something wrong with the one string/tuner. (i dont know what to call it!) It would not tighten and then I snaped the whole string right off. I am so mad at myself for even buying this. I caused us to be broke till payday and now its broke. I think I was ripped off. I may return it. I'm going to show it to him tonight and see what he wants to do.

So yesterday I went to my origional plan to craft a banjo and put flowers in it. I don't have any flowers though ! I figure I'll clip some plant from outside. Oh what a disaster! At least I have a card for him:)

oldfashionSAHM
by on Feb. 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM

oh wow hun i'm sorry. have you taken it to anyone that maybe able to fix it and tell you anything about it... you may be able to salvage it. i don't know anything about instruments so i'm of no help.

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Feb. 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM

So I gave him the banjo last night. I guess it is salvagable. He needs a new string on it though. But I guess it'll work for the time being! I'll have to save up for a better one next year!

anyways, here is a pic of the craft banjo I made him:)

Gypsy60
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Bet he loved your thoughtfulness anyway!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)