Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ducks

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 224 Total Views

Does anyone have ducks? I never thought about having them till my BIL got a couple. What do you use them for? Just pets?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AutumnDreamer
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Eggs, meat.  I don't have ducks, but we do plan on getting some, and the reason, is the same as getting chickens.

mrs.wondergem
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I know that on the Urban Homestead website they keep chickens and ducks for eggs.  I was kinda

wondering about anyone that may have some for eggs.  They say on the Urban Homestead that the eggs

are much bigger than chicken eggs with harder shells but they use them the same way as chicken eggs.

Do you need a place for them to swim if you have them though??

oldfashionSAHM
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:05 PM

we had a duck when i was little... i don't remember much about him but i do remember turning it loose. it was a beautiful.

AutumnDreamer
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Quoting mrs.wondergem:

I know that on the Urban Homestead website they keep chickens and ducks for eggs.  I was kinda

wondering about anyone that may have some for eggs.  They say on the Urban Homestead that the eggs

are much bigger than chicken eggs with harder shells but they use them the same way as chicken eggs.

The eggs are bigger, but not that much bigger, they also have a greenish tinge to the color.

Tracy ~
Wife to 1 Engineer
Mother of 3 Humans, 3 Dogs, and 2 Cats
http://journeyofahousewife.blogspot.com

mrs.wondergem
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Quoting AutumnDreamer:

Quoting mrs.wondergem:

The eggs are bigger, but not that much bigger, they also have a greenish tinge to the color.

And do you have to have a water source for them to be happy?  How big does hte water source need to be??

AutumnDreamer
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Quoting mrs.wondergem:

Quoting AutumnDreamer:

Quoting mrs.wondergem:

And do you have to have a water source for them to be happy?  How big does hte water source need to be??

Hubby's cousin never did, they were kept in a chicken coop with teh chickens.  My friend lets hers out during the day, and she has 4 acres with no visable water source either, and they never wander very far from the coop, so I would say no that you don't.

Tracy ~
Wife to 1 Engineer
Mother of 3 Humans, 3 Dogs, and 2 Cats
http://journeyofahousewife.blogspot.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)