Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Chickens & Kids Go Together? PIOG

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:10 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 347 Total Views

A lot of people ask me if I worry about my kids getting sick from our chickens. Here's my reply: http://proverbsthirtyonewoman.blogspot.com/2011/07/worried-about-kids-chickens.html

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
CBDen
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM

We always have the kids wash hands afterwards. But, I like the idea of hanging a hand sanitizer outside of the coop - I'll have to do that. I always tell DH that if we are going to eat their eggs, then they need to have a clean area. I am amazed when I go to water after not being the one to take the duty for a few days and find mildew built up. Yuck!! I make sure that their water and food bins are very clean - not sure if that protects against anything, but if I am going to eat what they produce, I want them getting clean food and water!

moneysaver6
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it can actually be healthier for kids to be around different types of germs...including those that a chicken would bring.

kriswrite
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I tend to agree, Moneysaver, although kids and the elderly are at highest risk of serious illness due to E. coli and other germs.

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree that things should be kept clean, but as moneysaver said it isn't always bad to be exposed to germs. I think much of today's problems with sickness is that we are not letting our bodies do their job and build up immunities from being exposed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)