Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wild foods

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 273 Total Views

Anyone else interested in wild food ? Don't mean wild game(though I'm always on the lookout for new recipes for that too)but all the wild edibles like plants,vines,tubers and such. Would love to hear  what others are doing like this. PLEASE research from several sources before you try any new wild food and be sure what it is. There are deadly look-a-likes out there!!!! And allergies could come into play as well.

by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mystic_Momma
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM

ME!!!!

me and hubby is planning on going backpacking and canoeing when the kids get older so that gives me the great excuse to buy books on edible plants. i was planning on getting some anyways. but this is perfect.

Gypsy60
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Great! I grew up eating things like Dandelion greens, Poke salad and Elderberries,but have expanded that a wee bit already.Too bad I didn't pay attention to my grandmother more as a child! Look for some of Susan Weeds books,as she is one of the leaders in wild foods. Getting hubby to try them can be a chore,but he's coming around slowly but surely.LOL

Mystic_Momma
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM

i grew up picking poke salad.. got here and i was so happy to have some growing in the yard. hubby turned around and ripped it up roots and all. he couldn't figure out why i got so upset with him. "it's just a weed".... "so is everything else you eat that don't bleed.. you dummy" sorry we laugh about it now so it still stays fresh in the mind.

i want to take some herbs and stuff and plant in the side yard that way if it takes over no big deal. but i also have been trying to talk hubby into plantting trees around the yard. so i can't see neighbors.

JenaSmith
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:27 AM
I am starting to study more on herbs. growing up we picked berries in the woods them maw would make a pie. now i can't find a berry bush so This year i am going to plant some along with herbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gypsy60
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

We rent,so there's a lot I can't plant like fruit trees or berry bushes,but I have a spiral raised herb bed and we put in a big garden.There is a small woodlot next to us and I'm thrilled with all the wild edibles I find there. Wish I could just drag someone who really knows a lot around with me,cause you can only do so much from books.LOL

Mystic_Momma
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM

i agree books are great but mostly of no help out in the field. i would love to see a picture of your herb beds.

Mystic_Momma
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM

i normally get herbs about this time of year. but i think this year i'm going to wait till april  and plant them in the ground. my pots never do good maybe because i'm buying them a little early or something i don't know.

kriswrite
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Oh yes; we've actaully discovered some of our favorite foods are weeds! I recommend finding a couple of great book on edibles in your area, then take the fam out hiking every few weekends. Learn to ID and eat the plants. I also find a few things in my yard. For example, we just had a splendid side dish of dandelion greens, and I dehydrated the roots; ground up, they are supposed to make a good tea for PMS. Another wild food we get in our own yard is sorrel, which has a wonderful lemony taste, perfect for salads.

Gypsy60
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Grew up eating dandilions. Have never done anything with the root,but hear you and roast it,grind it,and use as a coffee substuite. Sorral is great! I like the new tips of green briers too,tried them last year for the first time.

Gypsy60
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Shall try to get a pic later when it's a bit better looking.lol Anyone ever planted trailing rosemary. It's crasy how many different varieties there are of many herbs,like rosemary,basil,ect. I can tell right now that i should have made the herb bed bigger.LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)