Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

real pumpkin pie

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:47 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 201 Total Views

Does anyone have any tips or recipies that can share with me using real pumpkins for pie? I have never done this. My BIL gave me pumpkins to do pie with so I'm nervous I'll screw it up!

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oldfashionSAHM
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:33 AM

dang it... i washoping this was a recipe.. i've been looking for a real pumpkin pie recipe. actually i have been just looking for recipes made completely from scratch.

tiredmomfor2
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM
I have not personally done it yet but have researched it in the past. If you google it you will get a ton of recipes and how tos. :) our pumpkins have never really done well enough for us to make it worth my while.
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Well I made 4 fresh pumpkin pies. They were good. Problem was I didn't get them pureed texture so the pie wasn't a smooth texture, but had lumps of pumpkin through it lol. Wasn't bad, just different! My SIL suggested that after you bake the pumpkin to put it into crockpot overnight and it basically purees itself. Not sure, but worth a try I guess!

tiredmomfor2
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Quoting Roisin07:

Well I made 4 fresh pumpkin pies. They were good. Problem was I didn't get them pureed texture so the pie wasn't a smooth texture, but had lumps of pumpkin through it lol. Wasn't bad, just different! My SIL suggested that after you bake the pumpkin to put it into crockpot overnight and it basically purees itself. Not sure, but worth a try I guess!

That is a good idea..but you know..maybe it is like with other foods we are used to eating, that has been prepared by the factories or canned in a factory. We get used to how they do things and how things taste and maybe it really isn't supposed to be that way. Maybe our fore mothers made their pumpkin pies with lumps of pumpkin in them?
It is like pasta sauce. The kind you buy in the store isn't anything like homemade pasta sauce.
Am I making any sense? Lol
tiredmomfor2
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Oh and congrats on your first real pumpkin pies! :)
Liz132
by Head Admin on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

This is the recipe I used the first time I made a pumpkin pie from scratch.

http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php

Liz132
by Head Admin on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Quoting Roisin07:

I didn't see that you already made the pies before I replied the first time. Anyway you might not have cooked the pumpkin long enough before pureeing it. I do mine in the blender with the milk if that helps.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I made a from scratch pie with a bunch of my friends in college. (Ok, so I was the odd 26 year old with 21 yo friends, but you get it) And we made one but used the wrong part of the pie. hahaha. OOPPPS! Still tasted good in my opinion.

Glad you had better luck! :)

cjsix
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM

We cut the pumpkins in half,save the seeds for roasting(kosher salt or cajun seasoning aplied before going in the oven) then place the pumpkins,cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake till done...they will be soft when the top(outside) is pushed on. Let cool a little and then scoop it out,mash or puree and when ready to make the pie filling add and make just as you would with canned pumpkin. We've been doing this for the past couple years and it's sooooo much better than the canned pumpkin!pumpkin pie

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:25 AM

So do you think I didn't cook long enough? They were probably in the oven for almost 2 hours! Or is it because of the type of pumpkins I used. I tried to mash and it was just stringy. My bil just gave me a couple regular pumpkins. I know your supposed to use sugar pumpkins. But whats the difference or is there a difference?

Quoting cjsix:

We cut the pumpkins in half,save the seeds for roasting(kosher salt or cajun seasoning aplied before going in the oven) then place the pumpkins,cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake till done...they will be soft when the top(outside) is pushed on. Let cool a little and then scoop it out,mash or puree and when ready to make the pie filling add and make just as you would with canned pumpkin. We've been doing this for the past couple years and it's sooooo much better than the canned pumpkin!pumpkin pie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)