Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have any tips or recipies that can share with me using real pumpkins for pie? I have never done this. My BIL gave me pumpkins to do pie with so I'm nervous I'll screw it up!

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Replies (11-11):
cjsix
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I think the sugar pumpkins are probably a little sweeter but,we use whatever pumpkins we and the kids picked out at the pumpkin farm for our fall decorating. We did have a bit of a stringy pumpkin pie last year...I think if it happened again I throw it into the blender to puree before adding to the pie crust.

Quoting Roisin07:

So do you think I didn't cook long enough? They were probably in the oven for almost 2 hours! Or is it because of the type of pumpkins I used. I tried to mash and it was just stringy. My bil just gave me a couple regular pumpkins. I know your supposed to use sugar pumpkins. But whats the difference or is there a difference?

Quoting cjsix:

We cut the pumpkins in half,save the seeds for roasting(kosher salt or cajun seasoning aplied before going in the oven) then place the pumpkins,cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake till done...they will be soft when the top(outside) is pushed on. Let cool a little and then scoop it out,mash or puree and when ready to make the pie filling add and make just as you would with canned pumpkin. We've been doing this for the past couple years and it's sooooo much better than the canned pumpkin!pumpkin pie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN