Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

still thinking!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:14 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 392 Total Views

I go round and round about homeschooling with myself. I want to have them all home for various reasons, but I have road blocks with myself that I need to deal with. My biggest reason I don't want to is because I've always looked forward to that day where I get those precious 7 hours alone!!!! 7 hours of uninterupted bliss lol. Ok so I know that is a selfish reason. I'll have many hours interuppted once they are grown. I get it, but its hard to get passed the idea lol The second major reason is I don't feel I could do good enough for them especially when they get older. My oldest son attends a cyber school for the past few  years which I've really grown to love. There is an actual teacher that teaches and classmates to interact with during class. It is just like ps except at home on the computer. So I started thinking maybe that it may be a good comprimise for myself. I could pull them out of school, have them at home, and they would be getting taught well. I could still incorporate my ideas and beliefs without the interference of the outside.

I started my daughter in Kindergarten this year and she loves it. I will kinda feel bad to pull her, but it will be easier to do it now. My eldest daughter is in 6th grade and I don't think I'll pull her unless she wants to.

So do  you think the cyber school is a good comprimise or am I still being selfish?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredmomfor2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM
A cyber school is a good compromise if you don't mind the restrictions it puts on you and your family. Also one child in a cyber school is normally not bad, but when you add in a couple more it can get hectic. I do know quite a few people who make it work though. We used a cyber school as a jumping off point..and it also was not a good fit for our family.

I look at it like this..you will never know if you like homeschooling until you try it. But people also need to realize that it does require quite a commitment. I used to think about how I was giving up me time or alone time and would consider sending them to school. But then I realized that even letting myself have that option in the back on my mind was causing strife in my heart toward homeschooling. For me, the commitment to homeschool is like my commitment to my husband in marriage. Between me and my husband..divorce does not exist, likewise in homeschooling (for us) other school options do not exist. I still manage to get time to myself..and also the more I have my kids around the less I find I need that alone time.
Also when it comes to homeschool for high school. It is not as hard as you might think.:) my children are still young, but hubby and I both homeschooled to graduation. There are so many resources out there. Just find out your states requirements and get to work. Plus most homeschool students are way ahead of the curve long before high school.
I have some book recommendations for you...
-Passionate Housewives Desperate for God
-Large Family Logistics
-Educating the whole hearted child.
Hope these help you. :)
tiredmomfor2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Oh and there are also a couple of really helpful groups here on cafemom..homeschooling moms and happy homeschoolers. The ladies in there are very supportive and so helpful with curriculum recommendations if you need them. :)
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

What makes multiple children and cyber school hectic? Just curious what you think. I thought about the differnt talking all at once, but they will have headphones and I can seperate them somewhat..Idk..have lots to think about but running out of time!

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

A cyber school is a good compromise if you don't mind the restrictions it puts on you and your family. Also one child in a cyber school is normally not bad, but when you add in a couple more it can get hectic. I do know quite a few people who make it work though. We used a cyber school as a jumping off point..and it also was not a good fit for our family.

I look at it like this..you will never know if you like homeschooling until you try it. But people also need to realize that it does require quite a commitment. I used to think about how I was giving up me time or alone time and would consider sending them to school. But then I realized that even letting myself have that option in the back on my mind was causing strife in my heart toward homeschooling. For me, the commitment to homeschool is like my commitment to my husband in marriage. Between me and my husband..divorce does not exist, likewise in homeschooling (for us) other school options do not exist. I still manage to get time to myself..and also the more I have my kids around the less I find I need that alone time.
Also when it comes to homeschool for high school. It is not as hard as you might think.:) my children are still young, but hubby and I both homeschooled to graduation. There are so many resources out there. Just find out your states requirements and get to work. Plus most homeschool students are way ahead of the curve long before high school.
I have some book recommendations for you...
-Passionate Housewives Desperate for God
-Large Family Logistics
-Educating the whole hearted child.
Hope these help you. :)

tiredmomfor2
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Quoting Roisin07:

Mainly the volume of work and the deadlines and juggling the different teachers. I have heard that if you have 3 or more children enrolled you can usually get one teacher for all the kids.
Most of the moms I know that have tried it end up doing their own thing. It is a lot less stressful. But the online schools are a good option if it fits for you. :) there is no wrong way to homeschool. Kwim? :)
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Just saw there is another school shooting that just happened. These occurances happen way too frequently nowadays and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. This is another big reason I'd like to pull them. I know I can shelter them forever and put them in a bubble, but the fact that this type of violence in schools just keeps on happening I feel responsible to pull them out of school. This does not seem to be ending. It would be different if this was a one time fluke thing, but over the past 10+ years it just keeps happening. This and my beliefs of faith and living I just have to keep them home for schooling. I can't feel selfish...i have to do whats best for them. This world is really scary anymore.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I plan on doing so too. If I can due to legal issues with my ex husband. But I want to get back to teaching more hands on. I went to college for teaching and got so disheartened in the system. Everything is to the test and science here is not important. I feel it is key! So is learning to learn, not to only get a score on a test! I probably would look at online for some of it! As you, I have some beliefs I want to teach and share! There is a pp homeschool group.

But with the recent shooting really makes me fall back on my homestead idea. To go back to old traditions! Where mom once was the caregiver and teacher.... And get away from the crazy of the world!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM

This shooting is really affecting me and convicting me in what I've wanted to do in life. I'm litterally in tears today and these news stories usually don't hit that emotional cord with me as this one is. I guess its because the victims are so young. Thinking of my daughter who just started Kindergarten this year is all I can think about. My eldest is in 6th. I didn't want to have to pull her at this point in her life, but I don't think its even a question anymore. My family and I have been on the road to self-sufficiency and independence from the bounds of society and crazyness of today, but I feel like this is pushing me to move faster. It is scary. It is time for this country to fall back into traditional ways of life. The world needs a new begining. I guess it starts with women/families like us:)

michiganmom116
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I have homeschooled multiple children (3 - 4) for 8 years.  The younger grades were more hectic because younger kids require more hands-on from me, but now that they're older they do a lot of work independently and I have quite a bit of free time.

As for having them home all day, I think I'd go insane if they weren't here.  I like my time, but interacting with the kids is great.  We have fun and even they have said that we have a different dynamic than most families.  We're close; we can have deep discussions about life and values and our futures.  We can take time to be a family without worrying about schedules.

My kids socialize with many other kids and adults.  They're active in church youth groups, in archery club, and with a local charity. 

There are several homeschool programs that have DVD or internet streaming with lessons.  I've tried those and didn't like them.  It forced my kids to listen to boring classroom prattle, and if they got stuck with a concept then we felt more pressure to "catch up" so we could keep up with the class.  I also felt that I didn't have as much oversight when it came to knowing whether they were learning or not.

tiredmomfor2
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM
I would go batty without my kids around me all day. :)
Sometimes it is nice to get away..to the store alone or somewhere..but I usually end up talking to the children even when they aren't there. Like the last time I went out I was talking and of course I was alone, so I probably looked like a crazy lady! Lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have homeschooled multiple children (3 - 4) for 8 years.  The younger grades were more hectic because younger kids require more hands-on from me, but now that they're older they do a lot of work independently and I have quite a bit of free time.

As for having them home all day, I think I'd go insane if they weren't here.  I like my time, but interacting with the kids is great.  We have fun and even they have said that we have a different dynamic than most families.  We're close; we can have deep discussions about life and values and our futures.  We can take time to be a family without worrying about schedules.

My kids socialize with many other kids and adults.  They're active in church youth groups, in archery club, and with a local charity. 

There are several homeschool programs that have DVD or internet streaming with lessons.  I've tried those and didn't like them.  It forced my kids to listen to boring classroom prattle, and if they got stuck with a concept then we felt more pressure to "catch up" so we could keep up with the class.  I also felt that I didn't have as much oversight when it came to knowing whether they were learning or not.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Going to the grocery store alone is a rarity. I usually have my ducklings in tow everywhere I go. I know what you mean, because I don't know how to act by myself in public alone lol

I do think that all signs are pointing to  homeschooling next year. The world is just so different/scary now. I have had reservervations, but those reservations are not worth sending them to PS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)