Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For the bread bakers...

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 135 Total Views
Maybe I am behind the curve on this..but I just found out that you can get 4 lbs of active dry yeast on Amazon for $16.92! That is crazy cheap!
I had no idea you could purchase yeast in bulk like that. I was doing the math and my family would save over $100 a year by purchasing it this way. That is a lot of cash!
My husband gets paid on Friday, I am going to order it then.
I have heard it is best to store yeast in the fridge. That is where I currently keep my jar of it. I wonder if I can keep the big bags of it in the freezer and just keep refilling the jar and keep it in the fridge..
Anyone ever put yeast in the freezer..does it prolong it's shelf life?
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

ooh. ill check that out. I make breads 2-3 times a week so that would save a lot!

not sure about the freezing but i believe i works just as good still.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I will have to look! Thank you!

Not sure about freezing the yeast though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
farmerswife61
by Group Admin on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

My MIL freezes it all the time because she would go to BJs and get a bunch in bulk and freeze 2 out of the 3 pkgs when she would get it and when one was almost gone she would pull the next out. Never had any problems with it not rising or anything

tiredmomfor2
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Quoting farmerswife61:

My MIL freezes it all the time because she would go to BJs and get a bunch in bulk and freeze 2 out of the 3 pkgs when she would get it and when one was almost gone she would pull the next out. Never had any problems with it not rising or anything

This is good to hear. Because I just bought 2 lbs of it at Sam'c Club for $5 and put them both in the freezer. ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)