Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help me bake these rolls!?!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 174 Total Views
I am trying to break the bread machine habit, while also going back to making all of our breads and things from scratch. Lol
We like to make 'subs' with turkey or ham about once a week. I have this roll recipe that always turns out amazing in the bread machine. My family loves them. I started making them a little bigger and letting them rise a little longer before baking. They have been great to replace the sub deli rolls I had been buying at the store. Plus the ones I had been buying kept going bad before we could use them up.
Since I am trying to start making bread by hand and the fact it has been so long since I made bread by hand..I need help! Lol we love this recipe and I need to know how to go about making it by hand. I also plan to double it. That is another issue I have with the bread machine. My family has grown enough that the small amounts the machine makes almost isn't worth it.
Ok..so here is the recipe. Please tell me what I need to do to make them...

3 cups flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 package active dry yeast.

As of right now I put all the ingredients in the machine and press the dough cycle. When it is done I knead it a little, form into rolls, let rise and bake.
I need to know how to make the dough by hand.
I realise this sounds pathetic that I don't remember how to do this. But it is what it is.
Can anyone help me?
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Dissolve the yeast in the water then add your butter..add your sugar, salt, milk powder. Add flour last till dough is formed. Probably will be sticky a little. Knead on floured surface usually around 5-10 minutes till smooth and elastic place in greased bowl and rise. Go about it as you would from there. It should be fine! These are the steps I use for my breads.

tiredmomfor2
by Group Admin on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Quoting Roisin07:

Dissolve the yeast in the water then add your butter..add your sugar, salt, milk powder. Add flour last till dough is formed. Probably will be sticky a little. Knead on floured surface usually around 5-10 minutes till smooth and elastic place in greased bowl and rise. Go about it as you would from there. It should be fine! These are the steps I use for my breads.

Thank you! I will give it a try this weekend. I went ahead and used the machine today. They are on their finaly rise right now.
whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Ohhh.... Sounds good! Will try next. Have a loaf of Italian Herb cooling on the counter right now. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by Group Admin on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Quoting whitewinterose:

Ohhh.... Sounds good! Will try next. Have a loaf of Italian Herb cooling on the counter right now. :)

Ooh! That sounds delicious! Meatball subs are on our meal plan for sometime in the next few weeks. I am going to attempt to make the longer sub buns and may try to add some italian seasoning to it.
Gypsy60
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I have a bread machine,but haven't used it in years.Have never made bread by hand-even use the pkg.mix in machine.Think I may have to give it a try.How do you go about making,I guess you would call it white sandwich bread?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Here is my white bread recipie...

6-7 cups all purpose flour

3 tb sugar

1 tb salt

2 tb sugar

2 pkg's regular dry active yeast

2 1/2 cups very warm water (120-130 degrees)

Mix 3 1/2 c of the flour, sugar, salt, shortening, and yeast. Add warm water. Mix together for about a minute. Add remaining flour till dough is formed. Knead dough on floured surface for about 10 minutes till elastic. Place in greased bowl. Let rise about one hour till double.

Punch down dough. Divide into halves. Let rest for 5 minutes. Flatten dough into a rectangle and roll to make a loaf. seal ends. Place loaf seam side down into 2 9x5x3 in pans. Brush loafs with margerine. Let rise again till double about 45-50 minutes.

Heat oven to 425. Place on lowest rack. Bake for about 30 minutes till brown and the bottoms sound hollow when you tap on bottom of loaf.

Quoting Gypsy60:

I have a bread machine,but haven't used it in years.Have never made bread by hand-even use the pkg.mix in machine.Think I may have to give it a try.How do you go about making,I guess you would call it white sandwich bread?

Gypsy60
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Thanks.Can't wait to try it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:13 AM

How did all the bread/buns making go?

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting whitewinterose:

Ooh! That sounds delicious! Meatball subs are on our meal plan for sometime in the next few weeks. I am going to attempt to make the longer sub buns and may try to add some italian seasoning to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)