• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tiny/simple living

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 316 Total Views

http://www.today.com/moms/tiny-houses-big-lives-how-families-make-small-spaces-work-1C8151106

I love hearing about these stories because it shows how living big isn't always better. Even though this family shown on this site did it mostly because they had to they saw the greatness of living more simply. Some of you know that when I got my property we lived very frontier like due to the mobile home burning down. For the whole spring and summer we lived in a 21' camper. In the begining we did not use electricity at all. I cooked all meals daily on the fire. I washed my dishes in a bucket from fire heated water. We made a camp type shower. I actually miss these days now that we moved into the other mobile home we fixed up. This is how I want to live. I almost feel we went backwards fixing up the mobile home. Guess some would think i'm crazy! 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tiredmomfor2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:31 PM
No..I think it is awesome!
My dream it to live in a tiny sustainable house while my kids are young.
I have read about this family. Their story is very inspiring.
The cabin/house plan we are currently looking at is between 600-700 sq ft. Dream of it everyday! Lol we are currently in a 1200 sq ft house and recently decided to try an experiment. We stopped using part of our house! We completely moved out of our master bedroom..including our bathroom and closet. Just moved out of it and shut it off. It was originally to start a remodel project in there. Now we decided we like it like this. The electric and heating are cheaper and we like being closer together. Plus it is less to clean, and takes less time to clean. We are currently using around 900 sq ft. I am now considering talking to hubby about using one less bathroom to see how it goes.
This house isn't laid out the best, and considering we are doing just fine in this amount that isn't laid out well..I know we would do just as fine in a smaller house that is laid out and planned for better. Kwim?
We have a big long list of things we want to do differently in the new small/tiny house. We are building it ourselves, just like this house. We are different people than we were when we built tis house and have completely different goals now.
I can't wait to live in a tiny house. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Gypsy60
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I must admit to liking lots of space to sprawl out! But I know I have lots of stuff I could live with,just don't want too.lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I hate to say this but I love living in my big old farmhouse. I have one bedroom converted into a sewing room that's all mine! It may not have the coziness of a smaller house but I love the wide open space. Could I live in something smaller? Yes but I'd really have to downsize a lot of stuff but we do that almost on a daily basis. When the grandkids came to live with us they were bombarded with toys and clothes. In the last year we are down to toys that they actually play with and the boys have informed me that I can get rid of their underwear. They only want underwear that is cartoon free. (They're 7 & 5) lol

CozyCottageWtch
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I love living in a smaller place. I would rather have it modeled they way i would like but guess you have to do what you have to do. But it really makes you think before you go and buy a bunch of stuff that you don't need. We go through things regularly. even things as simple a clothes hangers. when we run out we go through our clothes and get rid of what we don't want or wear anymore to free up more hangers. We replace them as needed we don't do with less then 2 weeks worth of clothes besides for the youngest two. they are not in school and don't need as many and the other kids do.

But it's a big learning experience to learn how to organize everything where it's not cramped and crowded.

Farmlady09
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:07 AM

When DH and I bought our property, we moved here in a 7 x 14 camper. For the first year and a half the dogs had bigger digs. We also had an outdoor shower and a compost potty. When we finished redoing a shed we bought (12 x 20) and moved into it, it was almost palatial by comparison lol. I had a stove again!

The cabin we built for my parents was 499 sq. ft. To my mother, it was very small ~ but she grew to love it. Dad passed away just before the move, but I know mom was happy. After her passing, and because she was home on hospice ... and because DH has had 8 back surgeries already (the last one was on Wed.), we have rethought our own home plans a bit.

I've actually drawn up plans for a larger home than we ever thought we would want for just the two of us. For starters, I made the bedroom larger. Large enough to not only still have the fireplace we want in our bedroom, but also capable of adding a hospital bed if necessary.

I've also enlarged the bathroom to include a 3x6 walk-in shower along with a tub. I've seen this done in luxurious bathrooms, but for us it is just a practical consideration ~ and much safer than a transfer bench over the tub wall.

And, I added an actual living room and loft. We don't actually use a living room unless our children are here, but not having one makes for very crowded family dinners. The idea is to keep it closed off when we aren't using it, because over all it's just more space to heat/cool, and more for me to clean (I hate cleaning lol).

I can say that I have never regretted living smaller though, and even our larger house plans (1130 sq. ft.) is much smaller than any other home we've shared. We already use solar power, and over the past year I've decided I love oil lamps. We have purchased some of the led natural bulbs (expensive, but they light just like incandescent and don't give me headaches like those swirly nightmares), but often in the evening, we just light the lamps now. Part of our bedroom plan is for matching armoires on either side of the bed. If clothing doesn't fit in those, we don't need it. The one 'big' room is the kitchen. I can and dehydrate the food I grow in the garden. And, we also have an outdoor kitchen for both summer canning and processing our meat.

That one took some careful planning, but at this point we can easily handle everything from chickens and rabbits, to deer, hogs, and a steer ... and without a lot of backbreaking work.

I don't think you're crazy ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)