Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Berry bushes/fruit trees

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 175 Total Views
Who has tips for successful fruit trees and bushes? We planted blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apple trees, and grapes. Hoping for some good produce. Tips on making that happen?
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Farmlady09
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I wish I did. We planted trees over the past three years. I researched and took notes from the nurseries, and so far things are looking good. When we bought our property there were already some fruit and nut trees (as far as I can tell never pruned or really cared for) that do bear fruit, but not productively. I planted my blueberries in large planters built from half pallets with an open bottom. That way I have a bit more control over the soil ph and acidity. The trees went into appropriately sized holes and have been fed/fertilized according to the mass conglomerate of info that is available with the most attention paid to what I got from the extention office.

I love raspberries, but haven't planted any so far because we just have too much else to get done right now. There are blackberries growing wild all over the property though, and that helps.

michiganmom116
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

blueberries prefer acid soil.

strawberries and raspberries should put their energies into growing a good strong root system for their first year...no fruit.  Pick off any blossoms.  Fertilize in early spring and again in the fall with a 12-12-12 fertilizer. 

apples and grapes will not produce for a few years.  Just keep fertilizing them,  keep them watered, and be patient.  Apples should be pruned when dormant to prevent new branches from crowding the interior of the tree, and to trim off suckers..

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Bees! You need them to polinate all of them. We are getting our first hive in just a few weeks.  Not only will we get honey but the bees help with polinating the fruit trees and all the rest of the garden.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)