Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just joined the group

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:55 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 159 Total Views
Hello everyone! I just joined and thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Jo and I've been married 21 years in July. We are the parents of an 11 yr old daughter, whom we homeschool.

We live in a log cabin on 33 acres that's bordered by a National forest. Not a neighbor for miles....we love it!

We raise chickens (rhode island reds and barred rocks); our current flock is at 48 hens and 2 roosters.

We also raise nigerian dwarf goats. We milk the does daily and make our own cheese and yogurt. Yum!

Finally, we also raise American Grey rabbits.

It's a very busy homestead here; we also garden...this year we expanded it to about double it's former size.

Well, I've never been very good at this, so if you have any questions, please ask!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Very glad to have you. You are living my dream lol...I'm 3/4 the way there . I am surrounded by woods and not much else. I just need my log cabin:) We have chickens, ducks, and pigs at the moment. We are hoping to add goats as well for the dairy. So i'm sure i'll be asking you about goats! Do you use your rabbits for meat? We are hoping to get a couple rabbits off my BIL this year.

joyfulnoise67
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Very nice to meet you! It's a lot of work, all these animals, but most days (lol), I wouldn't change it for anything.

Yes, our rabbits are for meat (have 8 in the freezer now). :)

We used to have hogs, but my husband said "no more". Lol.

We're hoping to go in on cattle (Angus), with a friend of our's, in the near distant future.

Quoting Roisin07:

Very glad to have you. You are living my dream lol...I'm 3/4 the way there . I am surrounded by woods and not much else. I just need my log cabin:) We have chickens, ducks, and pigs at the moment. We are hoping to add goats as well for the dairy. So i'm sure i'll be asking you about goats! Do you use your rabbits for meat? We are hoping to get a couple rabbits off my BIL this year.

michiganmom116
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Hi Jo!  I'm Rhonda!  I have 5 kids (2 are grown and out of the house), a 15 month old granddaughter, and I also homeschool the youngest 3 kids.

We're not fortunate enough to have the kind of property I'd like, but it works for us.  We own 10 acres and the nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, yet we're only 1/2 mile off a main road.  I have 2 horses, a Flemish Giant rabbit (just a pet), 3 dogs, 3 cats, a parakeet and a white goldfish.  My DH is a city boy and refuses to have any other animals but chickens for meat, which we raise every summer....although I'm working on persuading him to get some pullets this year.  I have a large garden, too:  2000 sq. ft of garden, 200 sq. ft of strawberry beds, numerous apple trees, Concord grape vines, and a cherry tree.

Do you have any hobbies?

joyfulnoise67
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Hello Rhonda!

Hobbies......

I used to love writing (song lyrics, musical jingles, a few books, and a lot of short stories), but just don't have time anymore, I'm afraid. I also used to sing and play piano, but it's been years!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Hi Jo!  I'm Rhonda!  I have 5 kids (2 are grown and out of the house), a 15 month old granddaughter, and I also homeschool the youngest 3 kids.

We're not fortunate enough to have the kind of property I'd like, but it works for us.  We own 10 acres and the nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, yet we're only 1/2 mile off a main road.  I have 2 horses, a Flemish Giant rabbit (just a pet), 3 dogs, 3 cats, a parakeet and a white goldfish.  My DH is a city boy and refuses to have any other animals but chickens for meat, which we raise every summer....although I'm working on persuading him to get some pullets this year.  I have a large garden, too:  2000 sq. ft of garden, 200 sq. ft of strawberry beds, numerous apple trees, Concord grape vines, and a cherry tree.

Do you have any hobbies?

michiganmom116
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Do you have a piano?  My mom gave me hers, but I haven't played in years. 

Quoting joyfulnoise67:

Hello Rhonda!

Hobbies......

I used to love writing (song lyrics, musical jingles, a few books, and a lot of short stories), but just don't have time anymore, I'm afraid. I also used to sing and play piano, but it's been years!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Do you have any hobbies?

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I want to have more hobbies. I started crocheting, but even that I seem to run out of time to do. I think I need a better system or something.

Jo, I would love to read something you have written if you wanted to share. We have a blogging forum if you were interested. I have tried to write stories and poems, I just don't have that knack I guess. I think I try too hard maybe!

joyfulnoise67
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM
My mother-in-law left me her 1947 Steinway, when she passed in 1996. I played until about 2003, then life got a little crazy.

Hopefully my daughter will take a renewed interest. She took lessons for about 4 years, when she stopped to try her hand (and our patience! Lol) at drums. :)

Quoting michiganmom116:Do you have a piano?  My mom gave me hers, but I haven't played in years.  Quoting joyfulnoise67:Hello Rhonda!

Hobbies......

Quoting michiganmom116:Hi Jo!  I'm Rhonda!  I have 5 kids (2 are grown and out of the house), a 15 month old granddaughter, and I also homeschool the youngest 3 kids.We're not fortunate enough to have the kind of property I'd like, but it works for us.  We own 10 acres and the nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, yet we're only 1/2 mile off a main road.  I have 2 horses, a Flemish Giant rabbit (just a pet), 3 dogs, 3 cats, a parakeet and a white goldfish.  My DH is a city boy and refuses to have any other animals but chickens for meat, which we raise every summer....although I'm working on persuading him to get some pullets this year.  I have a large garden, too:  2000 sq. ft of garden, 200 sq. ft of strawberry beds, numerous apple trees, Concord grape vines, and a cherry tree.Do you have any hobbies?

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Hi! We currently have only 4 acres but raise 2 angus, pigs, 50+chickens a huge garden, fruit trees, strawberries and oh yes we are also raising 3 grandkids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)