Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preppers

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 264 Total Views
Does anyone consider themselves a prepper or that being one is a good idea? I consider my family and I to be want to be preppers lol. It is a work in progress for us. We keep trying to stock our pantry, but its hard. If I ever get my refund money I want to purchase a lot of can foods and supplies that I can store away from the pantry so it doesn't get used. I just think its a good idea to be prepared . I'm not naive enough to think that something would never happen that we would need this, but i'm not the type to think its going to happen so I should freak out everyday lol. I think the world is unstable today and I'd rather know that we have a head start. What are your opinons?
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfulnoise67
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM
We began the prepping journey in 2008 and are very glad we did. I know there are plenty of ppl who think preppers are crazy and the gov't will come to their rescue if/when teowawki happens, but I shrug it off and remind them of Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy.

I'm not about to wait on anyone to do anything for us.

Our self sufficient lifestyle is s result of our prepping philosophy.

We do buy a lot of bulk from Sam's club, Aldi's, and order the #10 cans of entrees and such from emergency essentials.

If you have any questions about getting started, I'd be glad to help if I can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Farmlady09
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM

We are, and it's still a work in progress. I can and dehydrate the food I grow and raise. We use solar power, have our own well (and a second one dug as backup), septic, are comfortable using a sawdust potty, and we stock up on raw materials constantly.

We have supplies for caring for us, our home, and our animals as far as hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. as well as plans in place for things such as pandemics. This is something that we've been been working on for years now. There is no way to really prep for everything, but we have picked out the most likely things that can happen in our area ~ and most preps sort of overlap anyway.

We've also spent a lot of time just learning 'old' skills, how to use hand tools instead of power tools, and we occasionally practice having no power, as well as for things such as civil unrest, etc. Obviously we do think it's a good idea to prep :-)

joyfulnoise67
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:59 AM
I wanted to add that there is a group here on CM hat has a ton of topics on preparing.
I'm a member and highly recommend it.
Idk if it's ok to name it since I'm new to (this) group and unsure of the rules, but if it's okay, let me know and I'll be glad to.
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:11 AM
You may name it as I'm probably a member of the same group you speak of lol.
Quoting joyfulnoise67:

I wanted to add that there is a group here on CM hat has a ton of topics on preparing.
Idk if it's ok to name it since I'm new to (this) group and unsure of the rules, but if it's okay, let me know and I'll be glad to.
joyfulnoise67
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Now that you mention it, I think I have seen you in there! Lol. (Duh me).
(Drum roll, please......) ha!
Emergency Preparedness

Quoting Roisin07:

Quoting joyfulnoise67:

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM

That wasn't the group that I'm in lol, but I joined it! (Hoping that most people stay here though *wink* lol)

Quoting joyfulnoise67:

Emergency Preparedness

Quoting Roisin07:

Quoting joyfulnoise67:

Liz132
by Head Admin on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We aren't preppers pre say but we are on a journey towards self sufficiency, I think the two go hand in hand. I would like to be able to survive solely on the food we produce ourselves. I expand our garden every year and learn new techniques for extending our growing season and preserving foods for the off season. We are adding chickens this year and considering a few pigs so we will be able to produce our own meat and eggs. We heat with wood and have a well. If something happenedI'd like to think we could meet our own basic needs. I worry about the debt the US has gotten into and I don't feel the economy is as stable as they say, I worry that one day with the way prices are rising that we may not be able to afford to feed our family if we had to rely on store bought foods.

CozyCottageWtch
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM
No thanks I know the woman that started that group and I will not join. I don't know if she is the owner now. But if she isn't then one of her friends is and they are just like her. Personal opinions about the whole group of them. I would rather do my own research.

Quoting joyfulnoise67:

Emergency Preparedness

Quoting Roisin07:

Quoting joyfulnoise67:

joyfulnoise67
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I'm sorry for your bad experience.

Quoting CozyCottageWtch:

No thanks I know the woman that started that group and I will not join. I don't know if she is the owner now. But if she isn't then one of her friends is and they are just like her. Personal opinions about the whole group of them. I would rather do my own research.

Quoting joyfulnoise67:

Emergency Preparedness

Quoting Roisin07:

Quoting joyfulnoise67:

deadlights86
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM

We're trying we have alot of canned goods and alot of water and we are doing a large garden this year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)