Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We've doubled!

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 200 Total Views

We knew that the bees would swarm one day but from what we had heard it would be at least a year before they did. Well Saturday we had a swarm! This is just 2 months after getting our bees. My hubby scrambled to get a box rigged and get them in. So now we have 2 hives! He knows someone that has a bunch of old hives that we're hoping to get  because what they're in won't work long term and I really don't want to have to buy a new one for $150! Once they are moved into their new home we'll keep the rigged one so we can have it for next year when they swarm again. Hopefully we'll be able to sell the swarms. Bees are expensive. At $100 per 10,000 and 1 queen. Ouch. Hopefully we can use it to our good.

We just hit it lucky that the kids saw them swarming around the apple tree so we could get them. Found out that they only will stay on one spot for several hours before they move onto a new one looking for a new home. Glad they liked their new one.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nymomma3
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

That's cool. And think of all the honey you will have soon! Yum!

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Thats really neat. The whole process sound intimidating!!! Sure will be worth it though! Bees are awesome creatures

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

If what's going on with our peas is any sign of things to come the bees will have been a welcome edition. We have pea's galore coming on.

Liz132
by Head Admin on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I would like to get bees one day but I'm a little frightenedof them. I'm somewhat allergic to bee stings when I get stung the area around the sting really swells up and hurts like crazy. I'm trying to convince my husband that we should get bees but he needs to be the one to deal with them lol.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

We hope when we finally get our land we can have bees. How neat is that you doubled!

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I am allergic to bees but have learned a lot about them. For the most part the Italian Honey bee is very gentle and not really aggresive unless threatened. You can actually go up to the hive and open it, etc without any protection and not get stung. (That is NOT for me) My husband has done that. If for some reason we need to open it we go during the day when the bulk of the bees are out gathering. You can also spray them with smoke or sugar water and it slows them down.

I was always worried about having a yard full of bees in the grass and being stung but they actually don't hang around the house because they've already pollinated all of it. They fly up to 5 miles away to gather/pollunate. A few linger around the house and help things there but even our neighbors are reporting bumper crops of peas already!

Quoting Liz132:

I would like to get bees one day but I'm a little frightenedof them. I'm somewhat allergic to bee stings when I get stung the area around the sting really swells up and hurts like crazy. I'm trying to convince my husband that we should get bees but he needs to be the one to deal with them lol.

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

You are making me want to get bees now. It's weird because we try to get rid of bees around the house, not because we think they are bad, but we get lots of nest on the house and play area. but I guess if they were in a place designated for them it wouldn't be so bad. It seemed like last year the bees were scarce. It was weird. Wonder  how big the impact that was on our gardens last year besides the draught conditions we had.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM

You have to remember that there is a difference between bees. Some are more aggressive then others. It's also not cheap to get into. We were lucky that our neighbor gave us all we needed for the first hive (except bees which ran $100). That even included the extractor to get the honey out. My hubby was able to repair a lot of it with wood we had around the house. With this second hive the only thing my husband had to buy were the wax things that the bees put the honey into. (My mind is drawing a blank on what they are called) Seems as if there are lots of people who got out of the business a while back when they realized they were work when it came time to harvest or they didn't understand you have to leave a large chunk of the honey for the bees to survive on over the winter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)