Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your homesteading goals?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 128 Total Views
Do you have a goal in mind in this lifestyle? My long term goal is obviously to be completely "off grid" and lead a life totally dependant on the land. But within the next year or two I would like to learn how to sew, be able to grow our animal feed, and reduce our grocery bill to half or more. I want to use wood for cooking and heating this year. I think these little steps towards self reliance will ultimately get us there quicker!
http://www.gofundme.com/3dm5xg
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM

My main goal at this time is to bring the bills down so that we can get to a simpler life. Having to work full time plus ebaying to help pay things off takes up a lot of my time that I'd rather use for things like sewing, animals, etc. The kids help a lot and so does dh but a lot still falls on my shoulders. We ended up losing a lot of blackberries simply because I had no time to pick them and our neighbor was letting us have them for free if we wanted them.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Mine is similar. I want to work on getting completely self sustaining and self sufficient in the end. That is going to take me a bit longer, as we need to find land away from where we are now. But we've started looking. But I want to be able to grow all our own food to decrease our food bill, and then what ever left we really need for food, buy it from other farmers that may do what we don't, instead of using the grocery store. 

I'd love to use wood for heat. We aren't allowed to here per city requirements. But our house we want fireplaces and hearths (one I could potentially cook on too) and also a wood stove. I believe it was Liz that posted the stove you could cook on and in and use for heat. We have agreed to get something like that.

But as of now. I do all I can to minimize what I can at home. And teach the kids the benefit of home grown and doing things for yourself. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)