Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Goat sick

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 144 Total Views

Already we have a problem with one of our goats. The first day we got him we noticed whole corn in the bedding, which he must of threw up. We've read that lots of corn is not good for them especially whole. His poo has always been clumpy since we got him and has since turned to diarrhea. I don't believe he has ate or drank today. We gave him the goat dewormer in his food. He did nibble on that yesterday. He's more lazy today, but will still run away when I approach him. From what I am reading its not sounding good for him. Thoughts on what we can do to try and help him other than what we've done. He has access to hay, feed, mineral block, and water.

http://www.gofundme.com/3dm5xg
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
EireLass
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I would find another goat person fast, or call a vet.

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Been keeping a close eye and researching a lot passed couple days. I cut out feed and gave him only hay after yesterday morning. He got electrolyte in his water. I was more worried yesterday because he seemed not to want to eat, drink etc... He started nibbling on the hay last night. and this morning he has been eating hay, I caught him take some water and frisky enough to head butt the others! I'm taking that as a good sign so far. I just want to start seeing normal poo from him soon. Dh may stop at tractor supply for meds after work. I'm trying to rid it out of his system. I'm begining to think it was the corn that the other owners fed to him along with the change in diet and environment maybe. For now, at least he is up and about eating and drinking.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM

One other thing that I have used in an emergency for diareha is Pepto Bismal. Looks like everything you did was right on target.

Something I used to do when I got new goats was buy 25 lbs of the feed the goats were used to and mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with what I was feeding them. It helped them to adjust to the change.

The water can also be a problem for some goats. If they are used to spring water and switched over to well (more minerals in it) or to city water (Floride) this can upset their systems. Again take a 5 gallon jug with you and see if they wouldn't mind sharing with you. Then just mix it 1/2 & 1/2 until you're out.

People think that goats have cast iron stomachs/eat anything and it's just so wrong. There are some things they love (multiflora rose YUMYUM) but others they won't touch (Thistles).

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Dh is grabbing meds for him on the way home. Hope it will help him..poor lil guy. The other ones didn't seem to get affected by him. Got to stop this now!

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Well our lil goat seems to still be on the mend, though I haven't seem him poop yet, which will determine if he's better or not. He's eating and running around pen. So it appears he's recovering. We got his second dose of medicine in him last night successfully...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)