• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looks like we're on track!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 168 Total Views

To have a good about of foods preserved for the off season and plenty of fresh foods for the rest of the growing season! Already I've got lots of Jam, frozen strawberries, blueberries, and spinach, onions curing in the barn and enough cucumbers to start making pickles and relishes. I just planted my fall, carrots, peas, beets, and lettuces. In a few weeks I'll plant my broccoli, cabbage, and kale seedlings in the garden and start some more radishes. I'm feeling pretty good about being able to provide my family with plenty of good food this year. How's everyone else doing? Preserving anything for winter yet? How are those gardens growing? I know some of you have had trouble with the wet weather this year hopefully things are going well now.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

We've got the majority of our green beans done with more coming on. I've started giving them to my mom. Potato's are dug and hoping to get a second planting in if I can force the "babies" to go to seed. Tomatoe's are coming on heavy just need to start ripening and should have corn in about 3 weeks. Melons are really coming out but not sure if we'll be able to eat them all. Have to give a bunch away. Berries are pretty well done but every once in awhile our strawberries will bloom again in the fall. Not sure why but I don't complain. Brocoli is also in the freezer. Yep it's been a good summer for us so far.

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM
This year has been terrible for our gardening. for many reasons. We started late and didn't have much to plant. Everything was on hold for us this year due to finances:( I don't think we'll have much to can this year. Hopefully we'll get to do better next year.
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM

If you have a bad garden check with friends/neighbors. They may be willing to part with some of theirs when they are finished for the season. I hate to see anything go to waste and gladly give people what's left in my garden if they come and pick it.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM
My garden washed away in the flood. :( along with everyone else's around here. I was going to buy replacements, but we never got our taxes and couldn't. So I'm really bummed that everything I planned on was destroyed and can't have. :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)