Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So now that he can crow...

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 133 Total Views

Our rooster has started acting aggressively towards me. I was just walking in the yard,he ran up to me and started to act like he was challenging me, I just stood there until he stopped and then walked away. I looked online to see if I could find any information to help me prevent this behavior. I found one place saying that if you give them seeds when they do that they will stop seeing you as a threat and if you pick them up and pet them it humiliates them so they don't want to challenge you. Well I went back outside to see what would happen. As soon as he saw me he ran over and was acting aggressively, I gave him the seeds, he started to eat them and I started to walk away then he chased me again and tried to peck at me so I pushed him away with my foot he continued to come at me so I pushed him away again then he went over to the chickens. I don't know what to do with him, I can't have an aggressiverooster, I can't have him chase the kids. Is there anything that can be done to stop this behavior?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
EireLass
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Everyone I know who's had a rooster that acted like this (they all don't)....has ended up in the soup pot!

I got some 3 month old chicks recently, and one turned out to be a rooster!! He only recently found his voice. We have a definate pecking order out there, and I really don't see him become too agressive. Time will tell.

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Yeah...it's a battle at my house. I have yet have a rooster that didn't charge me or us. The only one he doesn't do this to is my DH. As long as he sees you as the head of the pecking order he will slow down with that, but its hard and has to start young. I hear that if you continually hold the rooster from young everyday while you feed etc that you will become over him within the order. I've found the best thing to do is to go about your business and not freeze because it is almost more of a challenge to him.. At this point you probably won't change this behavior. It has been with all our roosters. I find its rare to have a non aggressive rooster. Right now, ours is tolerable. Our last few had to meet the cook pot!

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM

You can try to establish who is boss but it's hard if they're older. It may not have been nice but my dh gave ours a boot one day and he hasn't bothered him since. Of course we weren't planning on raising any roosters so he'll sonn be put in the freezer when it cools down enough along with the old hens. I REALLY don't need 30 eggs a day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)