Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fall corn?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 133 Total Views

There is a couple fields down the road where they usually plant corn  in the spring. THough this year they planted wheat there. Now we have noticed corn growing there starting last month. I never seen a corn field growing this late in the season. I just wonder about why they are doing this and would you get a good crop planting this late in the game.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM
They may have tried to take advantage of the indian summer we had. If they planted a quick growing variety. (some can grow in 60 days)Which if they planted mid August, it would be ready to pick this month. However, corn doesn't generally take to well to frost. Being as you're in PA (if I remember correctly), it is a gutsy move IMO. But they may have been trying to recoop from the rainy season we had. But I honestly haven't heard someone trying to plant that late up this way.
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM

If this is field corn they may just be putting it in silage. There is some corn that only takes 50-60 days so they may get the crop in. They're not large ears but it is possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)