Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to this!!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 351 Total Views

Hello Ladies!!! 

I am new here, and have so many questions LOL.. It is mine and my husband's dream to have our own little homestead. We have been married just over 5 years, and have to girls, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. We homeschool the oldest, and will homeschool the youngest. We live the most sustainable lifestyle that we can in our current circumstances. But, we want to find a great place to buy a little piece of land, and have a great big garden. We are currently undecided on raising food, or hunting.. but we want a small cabin, with solar or water power.. wood stove heating obviously, and just completely self sufficient and off the grid. So, I guess I'm wondering if any of you have any advice on where to begin? It's all a little overwhelming at first LOL

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimbee5
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi!!!  glad you joined the group, i am new also.

my husband likes the conviences in life.  i laugh and say i was born 100 yrs to late.  but i do garden what i can in my yard, as we work where the work is and dont really have a "home" but i hope that all changes this year, i want to get a place and start working on it so it will be done when we no longer want to work.

i have joined a page on face book called living off the grid they have alot of do it yourself ideas...and pinterest does also.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Welcome to the group!

I garden and enjoy making what I can from home. I currently live more of an urban homesteading lifestyle now, until we can get more land and be able to have our own livestock and so forth. 

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Welcome to the group:) It sounds like you guys are well on your way to your dreams. Just keep doing and slowly eliminating the modern things that you see unnecessary. It is challenging living within a modern world. Just don't hesitate to do what you want to do. We obtained land about 4 years ago with the same dreams as you. We actually got forced into the lifestyle when we moved here and the mobile home on the property burnt down. We spent the entire spring, summer, and begining of fall in a camper. I cooked and cleaned over the fire. We bathed in a camp shower thing that my husband made with fire heated water etc.. etc... Since then though we rebuilt another mobile home on the property over that summer. We began raising chickens, turkeys, pigs, goats, ducks, and guineas. We garden/can, though this has been our biggest challenge so far. My dh hunts too. So it's like we have things in place ready to be "off grid" yet we still live too modern in my opinion. I don't plan on completely disconecting till most of the kids are grown. In the mean time though I want to live as minimal modern as possible. The only thing I want is internet because I'm still attending school. I'm doing this so that I can have the ability to work from home on the computer. I figure I can do that till kids are grown. I also want to start a small country store and that will be the income for when the kids are grown and we unplug completely. My new years resolution is to get back to living as self sustaining as possible. It is a choice whether to use a modern convinience or not.

Hope you enjoy the group.

Liz132
by Head Admin on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Welcome! We are on a path to a more sustainable lifestyle as well. Each year we get a little closer right now we don't have very much land only a few acres but we try to make it work for us once we have things figured out I hope we can get more land and get to almost complete self sufficiency. I think small changes are the way to start they make you more confident when it comes to larger ones. For me gardening is my passion so that's where I'd start. What things do you like to do already? What is most important to you? If you know than  maybe we can help you figure out the steps to take to get to your goals.

megthompson920
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Well as soon as the contract is upin August, we will be cancelling our cell phones since we have a house phone. We are making cut backs like night time potty training our oldest and straight pottytraining the baby. I've found reusable options for my monthly cycle. Now we need to save for land and find where the best place to buy land is going to be... I'm hoping that maybe you guys have ideas on finding cheap land, starting to garden and get some animals :)

Quoting Liz132:

Welcome! We are on a path to a more sustainable lifestyle as well. Each year we get a little closer right now we don't have very much land only a few acres but we try to make it work for us once we have things figured out I hope we can get more land and get to almost complete self sufficiency. I think small changes are the way to start they make you more confident when it comes to larger ones. For me gardening is my passion so that's where I'd start. What things do you like to do already? What is most important to you? If you know than  maybe we can help you figure out the steps to take to get to your goals.

Liz132
by Head Admin on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Awesome! Just curious what do you use for your cycle? I started using a moon cup (menstrual cup)  about a year ago and I love it. I'm thinking about getting some cloth liners too. Anyway feel free to make posts for any questions you may have. Where are you considering looking for land? What area do you live in now?

Quoting megthompson920:

Well as soon as the contract is upin August, we will be cancelling our cell phones since we have a house phone. We are making cut backs like night time potty training our oldest and straight pottytraining the baby. I've found reusable options for my monthly cycle. Now we need to save for land and find where the best place to buy land is going to be... I'm hoping that maybe you guys have ideas on finding cheap land, starting to garden and get some animals :)

Quoting Liz132:

megthompson920
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM

We live in Washington state right now, and we are looking for land in tons of locations.. Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky all have great land prices, Minnesota and Illinois has decent prices too.. but Hubby is a little hesitant about anywhere with lots of snow LOL.. um for my cycle I use a Lunette cup and get cloth pads in all different sizes from MamaBear BabyWear on etsy.. They are the best, and super cheap compared to others. I got enough for a whole cycle for $26 where everywhere else they are like $12 a piece, and I like her designs.. they fold out completely so they can be air dryed in no time at all... LOL.. Can you tell I love them? ;-) 

Quoting Liz132:

Awesome! Just curious what do you use for your cycle? I started using a moon cup (menstrual cup)  about a year ago and I love it. I'm thinking about getting some cloth liners too. Anyway feel free to make posts for any questions you may have. Where are you considering looking for land? What area do you live in now?

Quoting megthompson920:

Quoting Liz132:

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM

I guess it isnt for everyone, but we bought our land through a tax sale dirt cheap. Yes, it came with it's problems, but it was well worth it becuase it is what we wanted. I would check your tax sale listings; you  never know what you may find! Other than that, I have no advice lol

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Jan. 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM

We found our current house on a tax auction too. It was only like 15k.  At the time I didn't have anything, and was living with my brother after moving back to the area and splitting with my ex. So I was more looking for a house that was mostly ready to move in. I was 8 months pregnant with my second son, and had an 18 month old....so I needed function over what I really desired to have. I wish I had been able to find one with land. But we're going to look at some of the tax auctions again for a place to move to with land. 

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I was lucky in that I found 5 acres of land that I love. Not enough to completely live off the land but we do grea with what we have. A plus for the house is our neighbors who are wonderful. They're older and have already told us that when we're ready they'll sell us part of their farm if not all of it. It'd be nice but I don't think we'll be able to afford that much land. Especially with the shale oil drilling headed our way. I'll settle for the woods we want and the piece of land right beside it so we have more land for hay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)