Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So one of those hens...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 168 Total Views

I found one of those hens I thought that an animal got about a month after she went missing. She was in the back corner of my garden shed sitting on a nest of eggs. It's dark in there and she's black so I couldn't see her until I had to go back in that corner and get something. We got her out she was pretty mad about it but the eggs weren't fertile. We killed out big rooster this spring because he was aggressive and our little rooster hasn't matured yet so all the eggs were just rotten. This was about two weeks ago but everyday I have to kick her off the nest to collect eggs because she'll go sit on them every time the other hens lay. I'm starting to get anoyed with this. Any ideas on how to make her stop?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM

If physically removing doesn't do it she has to break herself. it's too bad, It's like pulling teeth around here to get a good broody! Did you put her back with the flock at night? Glad you found her though!

EireLass
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Chickens are so funny. They all have personalities! 

Liz132
by Head Admin on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Quoting Roisin07:

If physically removing doesn't do it she has to break herself. it's too bad, It's like pulling teeth around here to get a good broody! Did you put her back with the flock at night? Glad you found her though!

She's been with the flock full time since I found her about two weeks ago. It is too bad, I would have let her hatch some if the eggs were fertile. Actually if the eggs were fertile I probably would have found her with a bunch of chicks fallowing her around.

Liz132
by Head Admin on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Quoting EireLass:

Yep! She'll sit on the eggs until I collect them then as soon as another one lays an egg she's on it! Chicken ttc is hard work lol!

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I think the process is kind of crazy! Since witnessing it happen not too long ago I don't get how these hens survive 21 days. She barely eats/drinks. Nothing but lay on those eggs 24/7. It's pretty amazing, really!

Quoting Liz132:

Quoting EireLass:

Yep! She'll sit on the eggs until I collect them then as soon as another one lays an egg she's on it! Chicken ttc is hard work lol!

CafeMom Tickers
EireLass
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I just had my first broody and now 3 chicks. I kept a small bowl of water and food right next to her nest for those days she didn't want to move. But most days she would come out only once to eat/drink/poop. Once they. And only 1 of the chicks is a possibility of being hers. I have 9 hens, 2 roosters. She became broody with 1 egg, so I grabbed a couple others and stuck them under her. When I moved them into a different location when they hatched, I noticed she only did one giant poop each day for about a week. Then all became normal. I have not removed the chicks from her....she is very protective over them. I visit often.

I now have a broody duck. I have 3 hens, 1 drake...Swedish Blue. When she comes off the nest each day for her bath, the other girls will go in and lay an egg in her nest. 

It's so intersting to watch the whole process. 

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I did the same thing and left the food and water next to her the whole time, but she ate and drank very little the whole time. I moved her into her own pen though when she began to get broody. She only had the one, which I believe is a roo. There were several others that fertilized, but didn't make it I guess. Who knows why. There was one day she must of got spooked or something and was off the nest a lot of the day. So not sure if that effected the other eggs or not. Was so happy to have hatched at least one though! When we come back from vacation we will introduce them back into the flock. I'm glad it is a buff orpington that hatched because so far our other buff roo is gentle unlike many other ones we've had. Certainly is an amazing thing to see, you're right!!
Quoting EireLass:

I just had my first broody and now 3 chicks. I kept a small bowl of water and food right next to her nest for those days she didn't want to move. But most days she would come out only once to eat/drink/poop. Once they. And only 1 of the chicks is a possibility of being hers. I have 9 hens, 2 roosters. She became broody with 1 egg, so I grabbed a couple others and stuck them under her. When I moved them into a different location when they hatched, I noticed she only did one giant poop each day for about a week. Then all became normal. I have not removed the chicks from her....she is very protective over them. I visit often.

I now have a broody duck. I have 3 hens, 1 drake...Swedish Blue. When she comes off the nest each day for her bath, the other girls will go in and lay an egg in her nest. 

It's so intersting to watch the whole process. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)