Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New and improved grocery list for this payday and comparison

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 194 Total Views

So if you read my other post we are attempting to make positvie self sustaining changes for the better. To actually follow through with what we talk about. DH usually does the grocery shopping so he wanted me to do a list. Keep in mind I still have meat in freezer deer, rabbit, and groundhog. Plan on butchering some chicken in the next couple weeks and another round of rabbit too to add to the freezer.

I also will buy some of our fallbacks from the grocery store, but I dont want it to be a main staple that we buy constantly. Like I have pasta on there for this trip, but next trip I may add like hot dogs or something. We usually end up spending about $500-600 month easily on groceries. Not cool at all. Lets find out if this helps cost. Plus, I mentioned to him that once we have the stock of the basics like flour, sugar, yeast, canned foods, that cost will drop further because we won't have to buy it as often.

So this was basically what we bought for our 2 week camping trip and what I want to continue to do.

Wheat/white flour

yeast

Baking powder

oats

raisins and other dried fruits

turnips and/or potatoes

canned veggies/beans

pasta/sause

crackers

cheese

barely

honey

fish (Canned and frozen talapia)

rice

peanut butter

butter

milk

sausage (Breakfast, hot, mild etc.)

Compared to our previous examples of our shopping trip, which is just a small idea:

3 packs burritos

canned veggies

bagged meatballs

pastas/sauses

buns

frozen burgers

hot dogs

taco shells

refried beans

cereal

pop tarts

juice

milk

butter

cheese...shredded, sliced

lunch meat

smoked sausage

sourkraut

bacon

sausage

sour cream

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Kaylon
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Our grocery bill is absolutely killing our wallet.  Had to make some changes here too.  I bought them mostly to make homemade everything which is a huge challenge for me right now since I am working full time (sometimes over 100 hours in two weeks).   Ekk.  Would love tips.  

Liz132
by Head Admin on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I need to cut back also and make more things myself. I always get a bit lazy about baking /cooking in the summer.  In the fall and winter I'm better about it, now that I stocked up on my baking supplies maybe I'll do better.

Analugojana
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM

With small modifications this looks like my grocery list. More fresh veggies because we don't have our homestead yet and less pork (sausage,bacon) because we don't like pork. Do you have a source of milk? Goats, sheep, cow? That might reduce your reliance on the store.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I need to do the same. We spend more then I'd like. I think a huge problem we have is that we don't do a good shop. So I end up going almost daily to the grocery store. Which kills my budget, obivously. Because I end up buying more of little things I don't need. etc. So I have been bad all summer about planning my menu and sticking to it. Sometimes I plan a meal, and when it comes time to cook it, I'm feeling lazy or it's too hot. So that is my plan, to get things back in control. Time to sit down, plan a weekly menu and then grocery shop, and hope to cut back. 

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I stock up when things go on sale. So if kidney beans are on sale I'll buy 10 - 12 cans. By the time I go to the store again I'll still have 6 cans left but will buy whatever else is on sale. Next time Peanut butter is on sale I'll buy 4 or 5, etc. I then rotate them as I buy more. It's a little more expensive at first but after a couple of months the bill starts to really drop. I do this with toothpaste, soap, shampoo, toliet paper, etc as well. As long as it doesn't spoil I'll stock up so I never pay full price. Aldi's is also my favorite store. Lots of good deals. The other thing is I try to avoid the stores as much as possible. If I'm not in them then I can't spend the money on stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)