Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freeze

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:27 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 194 Total Views

Seems most of us are in a deep freeze this week:( I'm thankful not to have had a lot of snow yet, but these temps are awful especially when I need/want to conserve on heating fuel! I just want to last at least till March till we have to buy 10 gallons at a time lol Such a pain in the rear! Still more reasons I WILL have my woodstove for next year;)

How are your animals holding up? Going through a lot of straw here lol but it's amazing how these animals hold up in this weather. Us humans are so weak lol

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
EireLass
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM

We were negative 4 last night. We have both a wood stove and pellet stove, so we are warm in the house. 

I have chickens, ducks, guinneas. Their "house" is a room inside the garage (I think it was the previous owners office or something...large garage like he worked on cars or something). We do keep a small heater in there at night when it's this cold....keeps the temp about 40. Knowing heat rises, their roosts are up pretty high too. Although the husband went out and opened their little door this morning, I haven't seen anyone out. The food and water is kept outside under their "porch" (overhang on the building). The water doesn't freeze, we have a heater thingy in it. I have to keep the water/food outside because ducks are a huge mess otherwise. 

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:44 AM

We're all nice and toasty. Between geo thermal in the front and woodburner in the back it stays warm. The animals are all nice and snug. The stupid cows won't come in the barn but that's their choice. The chickens have been in and out of the barn.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:05 PM

I actually wish we had a little more snow this year. Usually we have enough snow to insulate my basement. Which keeps things a tad warmer in here. But overall. we're keeping warm. Not looking forward to the neg 30 tomorrow. My beagle already refuses to go out. Only time I'm glad I don't have my chickens and goats yet.

drgnfly77
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:52 PM
I can't imagine being -30! We were at -1 because of windchill then our power went out for an hour. My next home will have a fireplace or wood burner of some sort!
donna1028
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM

the high over the last two days has been 19 and down in the negatives at night with that darn windchill. The animals are doing great but my chickens are being a real pain the behind, they keep scratching out all the straw from their coop into the yard. On the upside they are working on making me some great compost for the summer garden.

We love our wood stove! it makes me cringe to remember our fuel costs from a few years ago when we heated with propane.

pinkcsmtlgy
by on Jan. 8, 2015 at 8:36 AM

The animals are doing really well. We put extra bedding in their pen for them and they seem to be keeping warm. I went to feed the goats this morning and it was warm enough that I could take off my gloves without my hands getting too cold.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)