Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diets?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:54 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

So I think most of us in this group tend to lean towards more healthy foods in the sense that its "real" foods not processed. With the New Year everyone always talks about going on a diet. Why not just eat right? I think dieting is silly, but that just me! I believe if your active in your life with work and home life and you eat good homemade meals and cut out the processed that people could go back to being healthy and fit. Seems to me that it has only been recent years like the past 30 or so that people's health and bodies have declined due to the fast easy lifestyles and foods. Prior to that people were eating home cooked meals etc. Why don't people see that?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:12 AM

I agree with you. I think people are looking for the fast trick, with little effort. 

Last night on my facebook someone posted a whole table full of "Airbonne" products. I don't know anything about this company, but it was all packets of powders and tablets. She was on day 1 of her diet. She wrote "this is the start of eating healthy". Huh? What part of the animal does the powder come from? hahaha 

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:47 AM

I've come to the same conclusion. I was reading about what is in our margirine and have decided to switch over to real butter. We already eat most of our food from off the farm. I've also found a great recipe that I use to make rolls and freeze for those times when I don't have time to make bread. Still haven't found any good biscuit recipes that freeze well. They're good fresh but once they freeze they don't raise well.

jody230
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:14 PM

baconbits, can you post your roll recipe? The one I have is ok, I'm always looking for something better.

As far as diet, it's not something I do. However, I usually spend January restocking the pantry with more organic and less processed foods. Although we try and eat real and organic all year, with the holidays, it seems more and more processed foods make it into the cupboard. Also I purchase less organic. It's just too expensive to feed to everyone that visits and stays during the holidays. I actually spent yesterday cleaning out the cupboards, canning some beans, and reorganizing the canning room.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:35 PM

I'll try and remember to get it when I get home tonight and post it for you. It's a french bread recipe but I think it makes great rolls.

Quoting jody230:

baconbits, can you post your roll recipe? The one I have is ok, I'm always looking for something better.

As far as diet, it's not something I do. However, I usually spend January restocking the pantry with more organic and less processed foods. Although we try and eat real and organic all year, with the holidays, it seems more and more processed foods make it into the cupboard. Also I purchase less organic. It's just too expensive to feed to everyone that visits and stays during the holidays. I actually spent yesterday cleaning out the cupboards, canning some beans, and reorganizing the canning room.

drgnfly77
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:59 PM
I did get a nutri-bullet for juicing but for me it's not to diet. I need more healthy stuff in my body. My main diet consists of Pepsi at the moment so I don't get many nutrients. I thought the kale juices would be gross but with a bunch of fruit added they are really good.
donna1028
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

funny you mention this a friend of mine did the same thing! The company sells "organic" products for a healthy lifestyle but to me it seems to be over priced gimmices. I don't know but like you said what part of the animal does the powder come from?

Quoting EireLass:

I agree with you. I think people are looking for the fast trick, with little effort. 

Last night on my facebook someone posted a whole table full of "Airbonne" products. I don't know anything about this company, but it was all packets of powders and tablets. She was on day 1 of her diet. She wrote "this is the start of eating healthy". Huh? What part of the animal does the powder come from? hahaha 

donna1028
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Some wonderful points made ladies! Just eat real food, limit the junk and drink water. It drives me crazy that no one can just drink water, it has to be some kind of juice, tea, flavor additive or whatever. Cut out the diet drinks and replace with water-watch the weight fly off! I used to drink a case of diet soda a week and for the of me could not understand why I could not drop those 15 lbs. Thank goodness I kicked the bad habit.

whitewinterose
by Head Admin on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:37 PM

I agree. I'm not going to lie. I had fallen into that easy rut. Especially with needing to get things done on such a short time frame because of our busy therapy schedules. That's why I'm in love with my new meals in a jar book, that will allow me to make a bunch of meal mixes in advance, so that I can quickly grab one that was made of natural and fresh (that I had dehydrated, etc) mixes. One without the additives. I know it's still not as good as making from scratch all the time. But at least it's better then the other quick meal boxes you buy. 

I've been trying to find a relatively cheaper source of better meats. There is a local market that is a cooperative type place, and they sell amish butter. I did get some there. Though I'm also looking at ways to make it myself, once we get out of this crazy therapy schedule we are in. 

Apostolic-Momma
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:07 PM
We used to be all about processed food. Then I became a mom, and everything changed. I breastfed because I knew it was best for baby. But as we got closer to giving her real food I wanted to keep her eating healthy, which meant our eating habits had to change. Don't get me wrong we still order a pizza every now and then, but most of our meals are made from scratch and what isn't we are working on. Except bread, I can never get yeast to work for me =(
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Bread is one thing that has been trial and error for me. I have found a white bread recipe that I use all the time now and has been great.

What are your issues when you make it?

Here is my recipe if you want to try it.

5 cups water

2 packets of instant dry yeast

1/2 cup of sugar

about 2 tb shortening

4 tsp salt

12 cups flour

Heat your water. I don't really test the temperature, but as long as its warm to touch, but doesn't burn it should be fine. Add water to your yeast in bowl. Add sugar. Then add shortening, salt and flour. Combine well. Will be slightly sticky. Let sit for 10 minutes then turn onto floured surface and knead for about 5 min. Cover and sit for 1/2 hour. Knead another 5 min. Cover again and raise for 1 hour. Place into 4 loaf pans and bake for about 35 (in my oven!) on 350 degrees.

Quoting Apostolic-Momma: We used to be all about processed food. Then I became a mom, and everything changed. I breastfed because I knew it was best for baby. But as we got closer to giving her real food I wanted to keep her eating healthy, which meant our eating habits had to change. Don't get me wrong we still order a pizza every now and then, but most of our meals are made from scratch and what isn't we are working on. Except bread, I can never get yeast to work for me =(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)