Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/o on GMO's

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:26 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 230 Total Views

Just curious what you all think about GMO's and monsanto? For, against, somewhere in between? Why?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
EireLass
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Whenever I hear "Monsanto" I think chemicals....and for me, that's not okay.

You know....GMO's. I'm really on the fence about this. I've never really read/studied anything about it. My gut tells me that it's just science's way of improving, and not really going in a bad way to get there. Know what I mean?

What are your thought? 

Liz132
by Head Admin on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:38 PM

I'm not comfortable with GMOs I think there need to be more studies on their long term safety. I think the chemicals used on them harm the environment and our bodies. I don't grow them. I prefer to grow and eat organic foods.

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Feb. 24, 2015 at 7:17 AM

See, you look at these two things as separate. GMO's and Monsanto are one in the same. There are various problems with GMO's. We are the only country that is allowing them. We really can't escape them. Even those of us that want to escape them. They are in everything. Even the meat you hunt because the deer/animal most likely fed off of crops that are modified. Plants are cross polinating making your plot of garden modified. So why is this even a problem..Here's just a small exerpt....

"What are the impacts of GMOs on the environment?
Over 80% of all GMOs grown worldwide are engineered for herbicide tolerance. As a result, use of toxic herbicides like Roundup has increased 15 times since GMOs were introduced. GMO crops are also responsible for the emergence of “super weeds” and “super bugs:’ which can only be killed with ever more toxic poisons like 2,4-D (a major ingredient in Agent Orange). GMOs are a direct extension of chemical agriculture, and are developed and sold by the world’s biggest chemical companies. The long-term impacts of GMOs are unknown, and once released into the environment these novel organisms cannot be recalled." http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/

When you dig down into this the scarier it gets. Most people don't see the issue because all they see is that they are being provided food and believe the media. Again, all about big business and who cares what the outcome is because of it!!

Quoting EireLass:

You know....GMO's. I'm really on the fence about this. I've never really read/studied anything about it. My gut tells me that it's just science's way of improving, and not really going in a bad way to get there. Know what I mean?

What are your thought? 

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Feb. 24, 2015 at 7:28 AM

And, you can be sued for growing gmo's even when you didn't plant them. Just from the cross polination from their fields. Crazy, right?

EireLass
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 3:30 PM

See what I highlighted?

I guess I didn't think so much about cross-pollination where I live. Or my community as a whole. I never think about how far bees/birds really will fly to the next place.

So do you think it's an overpriced farce, to shop for non-GMO/organic? 

Quoting Roisin07:

See, you look at these two things as separate. GMO's and Monsanto are one in the same. There are various problems with GMO's. We are the only country that is allowing them. We really can't escape them. Even those of us that want to escape them. They are in everything. Even the meat you hunt because the deer/animal most likely fed off of crops that are modified. Plants are cross polinating making your plot of garden modified. So why is this even a problem..Here's just a small exerpt....

"What are the impacts of GMOs on the environment?Over 80% of all GMOs grown worldwide are engineered for herbicide tolerance. As a result, use of toxic herbicides like Roundup has increased 15 times since GMOs were introduced. GMO crops are also responsible for the emergence of “super weeds” and “super bugs:’ which can only be killed with ever more toxic poisons like 2,4-D (a major ingredient in Agent Orange). GMOs are a direct extension of chemical agriculture, and are developed and sold by the world’s biggest chemical companies. The long-term impacts of GMOs are unknown, and once released into the environment these novel organisms cannot be recalled." http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/

When you dig down into this the scarier it gets. Most people don't see the issue because all they see is that they are being provided food and believe the media. Again, all about big business and who cares what the outcome is because of it!!

Quoting EireLass:

What are your thought? 

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Feb. 25, 2015 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the reality at this point is even if you buy "organic" seeds the reality of it staying that way is slim. It's to the point now that I don't think there is much escape from it unless the majority of the population gets Pissed off enough to stand up and get rid of Monsanto. But, again people like the ease of how they get their food and such so it won't bother enough people. I think we've forgot the power we the people have if enough of us stand up. We have been led to believe we have no power over anything and that's why we are stuck bowing down to the masses that is our government and big business companies.

Quoting EireLass:

See what I highlighted?

I guess I didn't think so much about cross-pollination where I live. Or my community as a whole. I never think about how far bees/birds really will fly to the next place.

Quoting Roisin07:

"What are the impacts of GMOs on the environment?Over 80% of all GMOs grown worldwide are engineered for herbicide tolerance. As a result, use of toxic herbicides like Roundup has increased 15 times since GMOs were introduced. GMO crops are also responsible for the emergence of “super weeds” and “super bugs:’ which can only be killed with ever more toxic poisons like 2,4-D (a major ingredient in Agent Orange). GMOs are a direct extension of chemical agriculture, and are developed and sold by the world’s biggest chemical companies. The long-term impacts of GMOs are unknown, and once released into the environment these novel organisms cannot be recalled." http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/

Quoting EireLass:

What are your thought? 

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Feb. 25, 2015 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I should clarify what I said here... Other countries have put bans on adding GMO's to their foods and are strict about labeling them on the foods that do contain them. Not that all countries are gmo free! Here, most people don't even realize they are eating GMO products, nor understand what they are. There is nothing that says food companies have to label it or provide any info on it.

Quoting EireLass:

See what I highlighted?

Quoting Roisin07:

Quoting EireLass:

What are your thought? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)