Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want a yurt

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 166 Total Views

Thats my thought on the best and cheapest way to live the way we are wanting. I've been looking into them more and think it would work the best and be most cost effective for our wants, they're compatible for wood stoves. Plenty of room due to the construction. 

Yep, I want it! Now to get DH on board. Yurts have been in our discussions in the past but really hope he can get into the idea again!

by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ctam682
by on Mar. 21, 2017 at 7:11 PM
The would be so neat!! How do you plan on building it?
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Mar. 21, 2017 at 7:54 PM

I've been looking at some companies that sell them. Seems a average price for say a 20-25 ft yurt would cost around $10,000 or so give or take. Usually doesn't include the base foundation. Looking around Pinterest also for ideas on the inside. So many variations and thoughts on interior design. We also want to go the composting toilet route.

this website seems to be a good one from what I've found so far.

http://www.yurtsofamerica.com/index.html

Quoting ctam682: The would be so neat!! How do you plan on building it?

ctam682
by on Mar. 21, 2017 at 8:13 PM
I really hope it works out. That would be a very cozy home for a family. I will probably try to talk my dh into doing on as well.

Quoting Roisin07:

I've been looking at some companies that sell them. Seems a average price for say a 20-25 ft yurt would cost around $10,000 or so give or take. Usually doesn't include the base foundation. Looking around Pinterest also for ideas on the inside. So many variations and thoughts on interior design. We also want to go the composting toilet route.

this website seems to be a good one from what I've found so far.

http://www.yurtsofamerica.com/index.html

Quoting ctam682: The would be so neat!! How do you plan on building it?

jody230
by Member on Mar. 23, 2017 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd be worried about the heat retention in the winter. I've seen people build them on HGTV and the DIY channel, but it was always in more tropical areas

Roisin07
by Cynthia on Mar. 23, 2017 at 8:22 AM

Quoting jody230:

I'd be worried about the heat retention in the winter. I've seen people build them on HGTV and the DIY channel, but it was always in more tropical areas

From researching several companies and such they can be made for winters and snow 

. Many people live in them through many seasons.

oldfashionSAHM
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Never heard of them. 

Right now we are talking to a low income company that helps people build houses. kind of like habitat for humaity but a little more flexable. Once we get a primary home established for right now. Hubs is talking about a vacation/retirement home in Bat Cave, NC. Mostly I feel in love with the name and have been asking to move there because it's seriously the middle of nowhere. but we are looking at getting a wooden storage shed and customizing it into a home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)