Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I talked my kids and dh out of a sheep herd!

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2017 at 8:50 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 95 Total Views

I don't mind having them for 4-H. They're only around 4 - 5 months but having a herd of sheep is different. It means trimming hooves year round, shearing in the spring with timing important, dealing with a ram, etc. Feeding them year round when there's no pasture in the winter, etc.

I know how much work is involved and I know that I'm the one that will end up with all of it even though dh will say "they belong to the boys. Let them do the work." Well who do you think is going to teach them how to take care of them? You just can't say here's your sheep boys. Sure they've been learning thru 4-H but it takes time to learn how to do it with out slicing them open when you shear them or cutting to deep into their hooves. It also would have involved redoing all of our fences we currently have built which is more time involved. I keep trying to tell everyone that we need to cut back on things that are making more work for everyone. The more we can cut back on work the more time we have for fun.

by on Nov. 1, 2017 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Nov. 1, 2017 at 6:43 PM

It’s definately a struggle to keep up with animals demands. We’ve talked about raising sheep but haven’t as of yet.

Kjl620
by Member on Nov. 1, 2017 at 10:50 PM
I have not enjoyed raising sheep lol! We have 5 lambs left, but they will be going to the slaughterhouse really soon.
Roisin07
by Cynthia on Nov. 2, 2017 at 6:57 AM

Why didn’t you enjoy it? How different are they from goats?

Quoting Kjl620: I have not enjoyed raising sheep lol! We have 5 lambs left, but they will be going to the slaughterhouse really soon.

CafeMom Tickers
Jenn_T
by Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 7:42 PM

We love our sheep!  (of course, DH does most of the work, outside of feeding!)  They stay in the fields at the farm property most of the time with the cows.  We bring them to the small property for lambing and then raising the lambs.  Then back to the farm.  We have three adult ewes and one yearling ewe and one ram.  One of my dancer's dads raises Alpaca's and he has come over to help us sheer them.  Last spring, we bought our sheers and DH did it on his own.  We had to do a bit of trimming once we got to fair, but it wasn't bad for the first time.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 9:44 AM

I wouldn't mind them so much if I didn't know that the majority of their upkeep was going to fall on me. DH hasn't even bothered to try to learn how to shear them for fair or do their hooves. The kids try to learn but just aren't big enough yet to handle the sheep and when they goet caught up with soccer season, etc. the animals don't get as much attention paid as they need especially their hooves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)