Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone here grow their own food?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 214 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I love to garden, and can't wait until Memorial Day weekend to get to work on my veggie garden.  My garden is not very big. Just 5-6 rows.  I usually plant tomatos, Bell peppers, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, and fresh herbs.  I also have a couple of blueberry bushes in my backyard which gives me a pretty good sized bowlful when they are ripe, and I have a upside down hanger where I plants strawberries.  I also have a  Potted dwarf lemon tree (stays in the house in the cooler monthes, and on the patio in the summer)  I love fresh lemon juice on fish, grilled chicken or veggies, and in Iced tea and water.   Does anyone else like to garden?  What do you grow?

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cditren
by Group Owner on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I wish I could.....but I live in an apartment :(

Marz31
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I'd love to as well, but we live in a third floor condo, no yard. I might get a little planter for my daughter for the landing outside our front door, but it's a potential HUGE mess and so I'm still debating it internally. We had friends who had a huge wrap-around deck at their apartment (nothing below, just parking) and they built foot-deep planter boxes and had all kinds of great stuff growing. 

cditren
by Group Owner on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I personally can't wait to own a home :)

parker4429
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I LOVE to garden and I try to do something different every year.  This year I have planted - corn, 4 different kinds of tomatoes, sugar snap peas, 2 different kinds of cucumbers, carrots, radish, yellow squash, zucchini, dill, chives, mint, strawberries,    I also have apple, pear, plum, and cherry trees as well as grapes and raspberries. 

WesternNYmom
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Container gardens are great. I used to grow Tomatos, and herbs in pots on the porch of the Town House DH and I rented, before DD was born.  Tomatos are really easy to grow, and I often have so many that I have to can or freeze them so they don't go to waste.  I don't mind, I love having fresh tomato sauce available all winter.  You can dry or freeze fresh herbs too.

Quoting Marz31:

I'd love to as well, but we live in a third floor condo, no yard. I might get a little planter for my daughter for the landing outside our front door, but it's a potential HUGE mess and so I'm still debating it internally. We had friends who had a huge wrap-around deck at their apartment (nothing below, just parking) and they built foot-deep planter boxes and had all kinds of great stuff growing. 

aetrom
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:14 AM
We have a decent sized garden and a greenhouse. Last year we put in strawberry plants (again I got them free!) and have a decent amount of plants - I took out over 30 just to give mine space! I have 1 blueberry bush cause 2 died. This year I put in some raspberry bushes (given free by a neighbor) we also planted an apple, pear, nectarine, plum and cherry tree as well as a grape vine this year. I hope they all take I am worried about the pollination of the pear as I am not sure anyone here has one! My veggie garden this year I have onions and garlic, tomatoes started, cucumbers, beans, zucchini, lettuce, radish, carrot.... Not sure beyond that. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Sounds like you have a great garden.  I wish I could have a cherry tree. Tried to plant them, but can't get them to take for some reason.  My dwarf Bosc pear tree is doing really well.  It is full of blooms.  My dwarf apple tree is just now starting to bud.  I can't wait until my trees start bearing friut. They are only a couple years old though so it may take another couple of years to get any fruit out of them.  The blooms are pretty though.  This year, I hope to purchase some raspberry, and black berry bushes to line my back fence. 

cditren
by Group Owner on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Wow that's great. Every time I need veggies, or want fruit I have to run to the supermarket.

Quoting aetrom:

We have a decent sized garden and a greenhouse. Last year we put in strawberry plants (again I got them free!) and have a decent amount of plants - I took out over 30 just to give mine space! I have 1 blueberry bush cause 2 died. This year I put in some raspberry bushes (given free by a neighbor) we also planted an apple, pear, nectarine, plum and cherry tree as well as a grape vine this year. I hope they all take I am worried about the pollination of the pear as I am not sure anyone here has one! My veggie garden this year I have onions and garlic, tomatoes started, cucumbers, beans, zucchini, lettuce, radish, carrot.... Not sure beyond that. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cditren
by Group Owner on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Wow that's great. Every time I need veggies, or want fruit I have to run to the supermarket.

Quoting aetrom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:55 AM
My fruit trees are young too so another 2 years probably. :) we love our veggie garden! Though I still have to buy veggies. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)