Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

metformin and weight loss

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 242 Total Views

My doctor put me on 500mg twice a day for weight loss. I am 20 years old, 5'2 and 210lbs. This is the heaviest I have EVER been, even with my pregnancy. 

After I had my son in 2006 (i was 16) and went back down to 140lbs. (I was 110 before I got pregnant) Ever since then its been a nice steady gain. 

Im just wondering if anyone has lost weight on this? Im not a diabetic nor do I have POCS.
Im starting to watch what I eat, and I have continuously  been exercising anywhere from 2 hours to 4 a day.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MikeysMama22
by Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Hello.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and it did help me lose weight. I do want to warn you that for me the way the medicine worked was by releasing greasy foods you eat. After I ate/eat something greasy I'm in the restroom maybe 5 minutes later. It's kinda like Ali. I hope this will help you and if you have any other questions I maybe able to answer just ask:) Good Luck

*Joanna*

mommie-marcie
by New Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM

How long have you been on it? I've been on it for the pass 4 days, and I have notice diarrhea, and minimal nausea both which I can live with, if it will help me shed 50lbs :)

Are you following a diet?
Any more active? 

2boysnaprincess
by Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I was put on it a couple years ago as a precautionary measure (had gestational Diabetes with my dtr so I have greater chance of developing diabetes later) and to help with weight loss....but I am a bad patient and I do not take it regularly, but I do tend to take it more when I am trying to lose weight. My doctor coupled it with adipex in the past and that does help. I was not as hungry, I do get dry mouth from it which makes me drink more water which I think helps as well.  At one point my doc had me try it with the adipex and the Alli.....and I spent a lot of time in the restroom with the Alli.....but I lost about 19 pounds with all three....but I would recommend Dr. supervision if you are gonna do that. 

Mom2Jack04
by Group Admin on Apr. 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I've been on it for 8 years.  And while it may have helped when I first was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and started taking it (I lost 50 pounds in 6 months, with it while changing diet and exercise) it doesn't help now

It can give you stomach cramps and diarrhea until your body adjusts to it, so you may want to start with half a pill for a couple of days and build up to the full dose

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)