Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chapter 1 Discussions

Posted by on May. 12, 2011 at 12:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 517 Total Views

You can find chapter one reading here

Chapter 1: http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/M6_01.html

by on May. 12, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jwhite83
by Head Admin on May. 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM

"Keeping the mind busy with things to think about seems to make children's minds and lives pure".

I agree with CM on this. I want my child's mind to be thinking about things that are worth thinking about. I believe as age 6 my daughter is thinking on some advanced things for a 6 yr old I believe. Global warming, foreign countries, nature. I love the fact that everytime we leave the house my children find an opportunity to notice nature, be it an ant or a flower.

After all, 'Education is the science of relations':

I have to say I find that with all the material we are reading in year 1 my daughter makes connections with the material and in her everyday life. They may not always be correct but it lets me know that she paying attention and building on the capacity to connect things. In one of our stories she read about a town/city called Carthage. When she heard that one of my friends lived in Carthage, NC (Definitely not the same place),  it prompted her to talk about the island story readings. Truly a good feeling!

Boobah
by Member on May. 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Well... I tried ladies! Lol I'm going to drop out, I just don't have the time at the moment and it was stressing me out thinking I was letting you all down. I read the intro and part of 1 but didn't comprehend much because I wasn't into it. I'm sorry :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pyratwife
by Group Owner on May. 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Oh Boobah you didn't let us down. Did you tried reading the modern english version? It is much eaiser. That is what I am reading because my mind is mush. LOL

Jwhite83, Sounds like you guys are really moving right along and loving it! Glad to hear your DD is making those connections. 

My favorite part was But children 'ask for bread' and we 'give them a stone.' We give them dry facts about things, and their minds don't even try to digest them. Instead, their minds vomit them out (perhaps in the form of answers on a test?) But, if information relates to a principle and if it's inspired by an idea, then it will be devoured enthusiastically. And that information will be used to build onto the spiritual nature in the same way that food builds physical tissue in the physical body.

My homeschool group has a branch of Classical Conversations and Some of the Moms tried to tempt me into joining because they said it would fit in well with Charlotte Mason. but the more I looked into classical conversations it breaks many of the CM philosophies and rules. CC is a memoriztion curriculum. Kids are given flashcards and CDs with facts to memorize and "vomit" back out. I don't want my children's education to be dull and full of rhetoric. I am going to continue with CM. 

Boobah
by Member on May. 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM
I was reading the original volumes. Do they have a modern one for each volume? I was thinking the modern English one was just a concise version going over all of them but not detailed. I might try again if so!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jwhite83
by Head Admin on May. 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I was reading the original volumes. Do they have a modern one for each volume? I was thinking the modern English one was just a concise version going over all of them but not detailed. I might try again if so!

Yes ma'am for each volume. Here's the link for it

http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/ModernEnglish.html

dont give up :)

jwhite83
by Head Admin on May. 17, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I started the original volumes as well and I lost focus very quickly! Dont feel bad lol

smalltownmom03
by on May. 18, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Sorry I've gotten behind already. But I will catch up. My grandma has been taking alot of time this week. Maybe I can get some read while I wait at the Dr with her tomorrow/.  

jwhite83
by Head Admin on May. 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I'm getting behind too! Thurday is tomorrow and I havent even read chapter 2 yet. I'm so busy trying to get this house in order and get to korea with the hubby! We'll be flying out on Tuesday!

sdgd21
by Head Admin on May. 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM

okay I had to play catch up, finsh this one and i have t o say wow. 

I am wondering how many feel that they feed thier children well and encourgae self education?

Oddly enough I feel that with 2 of my boys I do well with this and with the other 2 not so much... 

sdgd21
by Head Admin on May. 21, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Quoting jwhite83:

"Keeping the mind busy with things to think about seems to make children's minds and lives pure".

I agree with CM on this. I want my child's mind to be thinking about things that are worth thinking about. I believe as age 6 my daughter is thinking on some advanced things for a 6 yr old I believe. Global warming, foreign countries, nature. I love the fact that everytime we leave the house my children find an opportunity to notice nature, be it an ant or a flower.

After all, 'Education is the science of relations':

I have to say I find that with all the material we are reading in year 1 my daughter makes connections with the material and in her everyday life. They may not always be correct but it lets me know that she paying attention and building on the capacity to connect things. In one of our stories she read about a town/city called Carthage. When she heard that one of my friends lived in Carthage, NC (Definitely not the same place),  it prompted her to talk about the island story readings. Truly a good feeling!

I loved this but at the same time, I am not sure how to make the changes. after school and our extras my kids are free to do whatever. it also alows me to do whatever. Any Ideas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN