Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting a GSD

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 448 Total Views

Hello!

I am a newbie here, and a newbie to the world of GSDs! My Fiance grew up with a West German Show Line Sch female. And since we moved in together back in May we have been looking to get a dog and seeing as how Lepcian (his dog that he grew up with) was the best dog he ever had and was a great companion for him growing up. That is the kind of dog we decided on for my son (3 yrs old) to grow up with. So then the search began. We have decided on this breeder http://vtds-gsds.com/ and we are going this weekend to meet the puppies! I am excited. We decided that we are going to get a female, because females are more protective of children and as a general rule, usually more tolerant of children.  We are looking at a puppy from either litter E or F. But the price difference is $1000 between the two! Because both of the parents of litter F have SchH (dad is SchH3, mom is SchH1)  , but only one parent of litter E is a SchH1.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Do you understand what these titles mean?  Working dogs need jobs and the notion that females are more protective over children is nosense I raise them and the male are very loving and the best baby sitters I had was a male :)

Females are often more busy then the males and often harder dogs.My females are much more demanding then the boys are.

Their dogs look ok more Angulated then I like but then I have the Eurpopean working lines not the show lines. If you looking for a show dogs those would probably do ok in  a ring.

Just some thoughts if you have other questions I would be happy to try to answer them I have been a German Shepherd lover for more then 20 years.

Nanc

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:12 PM

One more thing they are great family dogs but need socializtion with others especially children and family members and friends at an early age.

cmuessig
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Congrats!!! I just got my GSD female pup 2 weeks ago and she is awesome! I have always preferred female dogs. I looked into show line GSD but ended up choosing a working line just because I want to compete in Schutzhund (that's what the SchH 1 and 3 stand for) so a working line suited my purpose better. If you are just going to have a family pet then I think show-line is just fine:) You will find that there are a lot of different opinions and a lot of different "types" of GSD. Just research research research before you make your final decision. Get what is right for what you want. Temperament will be your number one priority so meet the parents and check out their temperaments. Most likely your pup will be just like them. Let us know what you decide:) Good Luck!!

Amber5151
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I have had dogs growing up and our female dogs were more protective of us (my sisters and I) and later on, our children. It may have just been the dog but the male that my parents had couldn't give two shits about being protective of us. He was always closer bonded with my dad and no stranger could get close to him/the truck, but as far as us girls, eh. lol. It totally could have just been that dog. I am just going off of personal experience with that one. And then again, those were Labs, not GSDs. My Fiance is the one that has the experience with this exact kind of dog, I am just trying to do all of my research before we go visit the puppies and meet them in person this weekend. We still won't be getting one for a few more weeks and want to meet them (puppies AND parents) in person before we make our decision on which litter, which puppy etc.

We have a very very active outdoor lifestyle and trust me, this dog isn't going to be put in a kennel and forgetten about. We need an active dog for the active lifestyle we have.  We race crosscountry dirtbikes, we go to two races a month, and the other weekends are spent trail riding, hiking, boating, etc. The races are NOT the dirtbike races you see on tv. They are done on atleast about 100acres, more than 500 people show up with their tents, rvs, bikes, families, pets, etc. Everyone parks/camps in the field, and a 5+ mile track is cut through woods, creekbeds, fields, etc. My fiance races, I do not. So she will be with me and my son, walking the track watching the races. (You can't sit in one spot at these races, you would only see them 3 or 4 times, you have to go to different spots to see them more than those few times) -anyways, I just wanted to give a little insight on the fact that we are NOT the kind of family that just works and comes home to sit our butts on the couch, 99% of the time we are outside doing something (weather permiting of course :) ) She would be very socialized, we have a good sized family (Fiance, me, Kain (3yo) and my step daughters CiCi (21) Sophia (20) Sophia's husband Abel and his 2yr old daughter, and Jaimiee, my youngest step daughter (17) ) Although not all of them live with us, they are often over as well as the neighbors as we have people over very often in the Summer time for bbqs (generally one night every weeknd we aren't racing) and most of them have small children also. This along with the races makes me confident that she will be a very socialized dog.

And yes while I am still doing research and learning about these dogs, I am just trying to learn more and your accusatory attitude doesn't make this group feel very welcoming.

cmuessig
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Oh and I forgot to say... Welcome to the group!!

Amber5151
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Quoting cmuessig:

Congrats!!! I just got my GSD female pup 2 weeks ago and she is awesome! I have always preferred female dogs. I looked into show line GSD but ended up choosing a working line just because I want to compete in Schutzhund (that's what the SchH 1 and 3 stand for) so a working line suited my purpose better. If you are just going to have a family pet then I think show-line is just fine:) You will find that there are a lot of different opinions and a lot of different "types" of GSD. Just research research research before you make your final decision. Get what is right for what you want. Temperament will be your number one priority so meet the parents and check out their temperaments. Most likely your pup will be just like them. Let us know what you decide:) Good Luck!!

We don't want to put her in the Schutzhund competitions, although I have looked into it. Both of the parents of one of the litters have done it and it looks VERY interesting. My fiance's dog that he grew up with competed in it and did very well as I understand, so he is very familiar with it all. We are going this weekend to meet the parents and pups before we make our final decision
Thanks for being so welcoming! :) LOL its a double edged sword. The people that know NOTHING about dogs have NO idea what I am talking about, but the ones that know ALOT about dogs/gsds act like I have no idea what I am talking about/getting myself into and act patronizing towards me. If I get something wrong, just correct me, I am trying to learn by research but first hand experience is even better! I have talked to SEVERAL breeders and they have all been more than welcoming and were great with answering my questions, trying to help me to the best of their ability.
We want a good HEALTHY dog to grow up with my son, along with other points, and the best way to ensure that is research and going with a reputible breeder and not some $400 craigslist back yard breeder or a puppy mill pet shop. I don't want to give them my money to fund that!

Amber5151
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Thanks!

Quoting cmuessig:

Oh and I forgot to say... Welcome to the group!!

Amber5151
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Also, which links would any of you reccommend for reading on this dogs? I have been doing ALOT of reading on them but more can't hurt!

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Sound like a good match for a shepherd especially one that come from working lines.  Shepherd males are normally level headed and will step up and come between your kids and any threats Ours where great with the boys to the point I could leave Ace out with Dillon or Logan and they where best buds.

Don't get me wrong Female are great too I have wonderful girls and working dogs they just a handful is all I am saying LOL 

I hope you find ther perfect Match for your family.

All our dogs since moving to Oregon have been through civil defense training some I have competed and some not.  We are on the 3 generation going through training with our Trainers group.  They love it and so do I :)   I firmly believe this if you want your Shepherd to protect you, then you should be working with a trainer even if only to teach the alert, bark and hold, bite and out.

Good Luck

Nanc

Amber5151
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I have been looking for a trainer in our area however can only find the standard obedience training. We live in the Frisco area of TX, if you know of anything or are better at googling than I am (LOL!) let me know! I def want to get her into training for defense/obedience because there are some nights that my Fiance has to work late/out of town for work and I can hardly sleep those nights I am paranoid someone is going to break in or something like that. I just never feel as safe alone as I do when my Fiance is here. I would love knowing that if I am scared or my Fiance is working late/out of town I can bring her in and be able to sleep well knowing that we will be alerted/protected if somethign happens.

Quoting NancSBRN:

Sound like a good match for a shepherd especially one that come from working lines.  Shepherd males are normally level headed and will step up and come between your kids and any threats Ours where great with the boys to the point I could leave Ace out with Dillon or Logan and they where best buds.

Don't get me wrong Female are great too I have wonderful girls and working dogs they just a handful is all I am saying LOL 

I hope you find ther perfect Match for your family.

All our dogs since moving to Oregon have been through civil defense training some I have competed and some not.  We are on the 3 generation going through training with our Trainers group.  They love it and so do I :)   I firmly believe this if you want your Shepherd to protect you, then you should be working with a trainer even if only to teach the alert, bark and hold, bite and out.

Good Luck

Nanc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)