Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vet worthy?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 192 Total Views

Jackson has a hurt paw... He's not limping, but every now and then he lifts his paw up.  Even rarer, he'll yelp for no reason... I'm just wondering if it's worth taking him to the vet, or if you all think it's reasonable to just wait it out?

by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaarina
by Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

If it were my dog, I would check it over to see if there are any cuts or if he got a piece of glass or a splinter. I would wash it, and then wait until tomorrow. If it is still bothering him, then I would call the vet.

underHISwing
by Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM
He's actually favoring the other leg a bit now too. I'm thinking it might be pano. He's 10 months old, and over 90 pounds. We'll be cutting back his food to see if that helps a bit. Poor guy. I thought I few winter pounds would be ok.
kaarina
by Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Aww, it could be pano. My breeder and vet both told me not to feed puppy food as it causes them to grow fast. Wolfie has been on adult food since he started solids. He is 27 months now and is still growing, but slowly. He has gained another inch in the past few months. He's 26 inches tall and weighs 87 lbs.

underHISwing
by Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM
He is actually on an "all life stages" food. We just followed the package directions, but with winter, and spending more time inside, he's lost the definition between his hips and ribs. Hoping the cut back in food will help.
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I always crate my dog for a couple days and  see how that goes. Sounds like Pano how old is he now. This come and grows and can last  6 months to a year and weight ca be an issue with this.  I would cut back all exercise for a week or so.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I would definately cut him back to about 85 lbs if you can 3 lbs is like 15 human lbs on a dog. :)

Good luck.

Nanc

underHISwing
by Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

He really is a big dog, already 28 inches at the top of his shoulders...  I think anything below 90 would be too little.  Though we are getting there.  He had a stomach bug last week, or an episode due to food allergies, that helped catipult his weight loss.  We have cut his food down to 2/3s of what he was getting.  I actually am not really needing to crate him, because he's just laying around.... It's been a while since he's been this layed back :( 

underHISwing
by Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I just wanted to add how thankful I am for this group.  Jack is our first puppy in about 13 years, and our first GSD whatsoever.  I'm just glad I have you all to come to for wisdom and guidance to help me help Jack be the best dog he can be ;)

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Wtih Sheps I always keep them on the thin side until they are done growing especially the males they seem to have more issues with Pano then the females do.

underHISwing
by Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Thanks Nanc... He's too heavy for a scale, so I guess we'll just keep trimming him down until he looks "thin".  His face is already looking thinner, and it's just been a few days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)