Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog COMPLETELY ignores my son!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 175 Total Views

Okay so we have a GS dog that we adopted a yr and half ago from a rescue center. She was 2 when we got her, dont know what kind of home she came from before and although when we got her she was VERY skitsy and scared about EVERYTHING, she has calmed down CONSIDERABLY .. still has her quirks but who doesn't.. ANYWAYS.. something that really bothers me and that isnt changing is that she compltly ignores my 5 yr old and before you say maybe he mistreats her or somehting.. I assure you he doesnt.. he LOVES LOVES LOVES this dog!! he is always trying to hug on her and kiss her an you can tell she "tollerates" it but when it comes to him calling her to come to him or him tring to give her a command like telling her to sit, she COMPLETLY ignores him.. She LOVES to be around my husband and she likes to be around me and listens to the both of us pretty well. But she doesnt seem to care about my son. If he goes outside to play in the yard and she is out she just lays by the back door but if my husband or I go outside she follows us and stays right beside us.. What can i do to change her behavoior towards my son? I mean its not like she is mean towards him but the whole reason we got a dog is for my son to have a companion.. If he throws a ball she ignores is if my hubby or I throw a ball she will chase it.. Anyone have any suggestions?

by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kaarina
by Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Try having your son train her. Put a leash and collar on her and have him walk her around the yard, giving her the heel command. Then have him work on obedience exercises with him, so that he is in command. Make sure he treats her good behavior with yummy treats. She obviously doesnt see him as someone in authority that she needs to obey. Maybe take him and her to some obedience classes and let him do the training with her.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Your probaly can't do a lot about it. Shepherds tend to pick their main person and accept but may not interact with all member of the family the same. In our Home our dogs all have their main person and the rest of us they get along with but we do not go out of our way to try to make them our dogs if that makes sense.

Best you may be able to do is start letting your boy give her treats, and then graducally asking her to sit, even helping to feed her, does she wait for her dish to be put down and then told she can eat that is what I expect from all our dogs.

Shepherds normally have what I call, one true master in a family. I have been involved with Shepherds since the 80s and raise them since 2001 and I can tell you this is probably normal behavior and as long as she is respectful of him and not trying to dominate him you can work on what I have suggested above.

Did she come from a home with only adults, or do you know? I just place a almost 2 year old dog I got back from a family she was raised with 2 boys under 4 since she was 10 weeks old, she was a happy well adjusted dog who right away took to the fellow that came to meet her and has a family.  If she had not been raised with  kids I probalby would not have placed her in a home with kids but she was so wonderful and sweet I know she will do fine.

Good Luck,

Nanc

Mommyof2114
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:47 AM
So true. Our female German shepherds adore me lol. They put up with the kids and dh they don't listen well to them but they will do anything for me.

Quoting NancSBRN:

Your probaly can't do a lot about it. Shepherds tend to pick their main person and accept but may not interact with all member of the family the same. In our Home our dogs all have their main person and the rest of us they get along with but we do not go out of our way to try to make them our dogs if that makes sense.

Best you may be able to do is start letting your boy give her treats, and then graducally asking her to sit, even helping to feed her, does she wait for her dish to be put down and then told she can eat that is what I expect from all our dogs.

Shepherds normally have what I call, one true master in a family. I have been involved with Shepherds since the 80s and raise them since 2001 and I can tell you this is probably normal behavior and as long as she is respectful of him and not trying to dominate him you can work on what I have suggested above.

Did she come from a home with only adults, or do you know? I just place a almost 2 year old dog I got back from a family she was raised with 2 boys under 4 since she was 10 weeks old, she was a happy well adjusted dog who right away took to the fellow that came to meet her and has a family.  If she had not been raised with  kids I probalby would not have placed her in a home with kids but she was so wonderful and sweet I know she will do fine.

Good Luck,

Nanc

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)