Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Training...

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 254 Total Views

As I've stated before, Jackson doesn't really like strangers.  He's fine when we're not at home, unless someone acts scared, but at home it's horrible.  The problem is that my sister, who lives with us, has a new boyfriend that visits regularly.  At first I was fine with putting  Jackson in the crate when he came over, but now he's coming over nearly every night.  When Jackson's out, there is a lot of barking, which is unusual for him.  I think most of the barking is just territorial.  Another problem is that this boyfriend is a know it all... he thinks that because Jackson's tail is wagging, that he must just be excited.   I've known that dogs can bite with their tails wagging... I know that this wagging is more of an uncomfortable wag.  Should I make Jackson stay in a down postion the entire time this boyfriend is here?  Is there anything else we can do to make these visits more comfortable for everyone? 

by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Well i is not really fair to keep him on a down stay all the time. I would leash him and  try to acclimate him to the situation. Perhaps he is just getting vibes off this guy he doesn't like, perhaps he is being territorial but he needs to now you are in charge and not to worry.

Can  you put up a gate so you can slowly work in desensitizing him to this fellow? 

Most of the time they will get us to people after a time My dog Be'len doesn't care for people coming over she growled at my friend the first time I let her in so I had her just sit then offer her some treats, then play ball with her. Normally I do not let others give my dogs treats but Be'len just needed the reassurance. She did not get it if she growled she had to sit and take it nice. Candice can be a bit hyper so I think She was feeding off that energy too.

The third time Candice came over she was happy to see her, and did not growl at all.

TeaHound
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM

My GSD barks at EVERYTHING (he HATES butterflies, really!)  Anyway, whenever anyone comes over and they have to go near any one of us, we let him sniff their hand and he's attentive, but quiet.  I'm not necessarily suggesting it, but would it be possible that your dog could sniff the bf's hand each time he comes over, is it possible that might help the dog realize the bf is okay to be there?

As for the know-it-all: Regardless of what he may or may not know, he needs to listen to YOU about YOUR dog.  That's my opinion anyway.

TeaHound
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I like what NancSBRN said about leashing him.

underHISwing
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Thanks :)  I finally just have had to let him bark.  He barks for a few, then decides it's ok.  Its still annoying.  We're going on vacation soon, and Jacks going to be spending some time being boarded and trained... Hoping the trainer can help with this issue :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)