Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jumping

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:35 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 149 Total Views

My pup is 5 months old and despite what I say or do she's a jumper. Her front paws on the table the kitchen counter tops ect... If I set the table she steals the napkins and eats them. If the kitchen sink is full she drinks from it. I'm right with her but I might have my head turned for a sec. and thats all it takes she pulls something off the table or counter then runs like hell with it. She does the same with my daughters toys. She does know the command "leave it" but seems to do better with that outside. Any advice on how to stop her from doing this. As a 90lb going is going to hard to push down when she's full grown.

Thanks...

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
funwithfaithmom
by Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 9:06 PM

My pup is now 10 months old, he still has some of those behaviors, but, as he matures he is much, much better. That is a huge part of the answer. Maturity. That said, there are training methods I have used that have worked for me. I had a dog trainer come to my home and these were her suggestions:

1) set your dog up for the situation as training situations, e.g.place food at the edge of the counter and stand next to it pretending to look away

2)when he begins to jump up, shake an empty soda can filled with coins and say leave.

3)my dog was more stubborn , verbal didn't work, nor did shake can... next option was training collar.  Yes, it's a shock collar, but, we have an electric fence and the correction of the collar is about 1/10 the strength of the fence shock; which does not harm the dog at all

Also, the way the collar works is that before you shock, you press a button that produces a sound, then the dog quickly learns to associate the sound with the shock

My pup learned very quickly that the shock came after the sound and by the 2nd day of training, I only had to use the sound to train

4)If these don't work, you can also by mats to put on the counters so if you aren't there, the dog will get the same type of correction

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)