Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Problem with Kyzir

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 226 Total Views

ok so this a new big problem with Kyzir. he is almost 3 now, and he has some new behavior problems that i dont like at all. well he has never taken food off the table or counter top. well i went to the store, hubby was home and he stole breakfast off the counter, pancakes and bacon. then the next day he took my sandwhich off the table,as soon as i turned my back. i scolded him, but this morning he stole my son's breakfast. i am not sure why he is doing this. when he steals food he has food in his food bowl. does anyone know why he is all of the sudden doing this now. and how do i stop him from stealing food. we have never had to worry about food around him until this past week. i have left a roast on the counter before left then came back and it has still been there, i am confused as to why he is now stealing food. any advice will be helpful.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KeeleyDawn
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Before I even attempt to address your problem,I am curious, have you or anyone in your family feed him table scrapes just recently for the first time?  Does he get table food at all?  If so, how is it given to him (straight from person's hand, in his bowl. . etc)? Has anything in his daily routine changed (have YOU or a family member changed up your daily routine)?  It sounds like you free feed him.  Is that correct?  When you did catch him taking your sandwhich off the table, how EXACTLY did you react? What was he doing when you reacted?  One more question, who has the role of pack leader in the house?  Has their role been challenged lately?

ItalianMomma04
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Sometimes, dogs do these kind of things for attention. Has anything changed recently, where maybe he is getting a little less attention? We have a GS a year and a half old and have never had an issue with here, and then we got a great dane puppy, and she got a little nervous and seemed to develop a little case of seperation anxiety when we would leave where she would chew on our Christmas tree. The only thing I can think of, is dogs will take attention, wether it's good or bad, it's still attention. It could be he is trying to get that more from you, or there has been some sort of change he does not like.  Take some preventative measures. If it's all happeningin the kitchen change the rules for him, he is no longer allowed in the kitchen whenever there is food out or your cooking. If he enters, say "ah-ah" or "no" and make him back up to an invisible boundary line. Hope everything gets better! Good Luck!

http://challbrown.com/

The Family Zoo

http:www.cafemom.com/group/TheFamilyZoo

Elizabeth

marshallsmommy
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM

ok to anwer the questions..... yes he is free feed there is always food in his bowl. i am the pack leader since i am the one here all the time... there has been some changes my hubby is home for RR ( he is military) we have been gone more than usual as well. we give him as much attention as he always gets. he does get some table food, but it always goes into his food bowl. when i cought him eating my sandwhich off the table. i said no! firmly. he chewed faster and then pulled his ears back he knows he is not allowed near the table while food is on the table. he went to his cage ( he put himself there) so i am not sure what is going on with him. nothing much has changed other than hubby coming home. we have had more people over due to the hoildays but he loves people, maybe the attention he got from all the other people and now he isnt, could that be the issue with him???

Quoting KeeleyDawn:

Before I even attempt to address your problem,I am curious, have you or anyone in your family feed him table scrapes just recently for the first time?  Does he get table food at all?  If so, how is it given to him (straight from person's hand, in his bowl. . etc)? Has anything in his daily routine changed (have YOU or a family member changed up your daily routine)?  It sounds like you free feed him.  Is that correct?  When you did catch him taking your sandwhich off the table, how EXACTLY did you react? What was he doing when you reacted?  One more question, who has the role of pack leader in the house?  Has their role been challenged lately?

KeeleyDawn
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2009 at 4:30 AM

Marshall's mommy,

The problem that you are having with Kyzir is a due to a break down in the pack order.  In the wild, food is a status of rank.  The alpha (pack leader) eats first followed by the next dog in line and so on and so forth down to the lowest member in the pack.  The alpha dog also determines when the other members of the pack eat.  Your answer to my pack leader question confirmed my suspicions that there is no clear alpha in your pack.  On top of that, your shepherd is at the correct age to really began testing his boundaries as a follower of the pack (usually between the ages of 3-5 years old), which may answer your question as to why now.  I am going to recommend several changes to establish and maintain your role as the pack leader.  The first thing that I recommend is no more free feeding. Free feeding your dog allows him to chose when he eats-this undermines you as the pack leader.  You should feed him at a scheduled time.  Kyzir also must "work" for his food.  In the pack, nothing is free.  As a result, have his sit, lay down or whatever else you chose before he is fed.  If he does not follow the command, he does not earn his food, instead, wait about 15-20 minutes and then try again.  In addition to the command, YOU must give him the okay as to WHEN he can eat it (remember pack leaders determine who eats and when).  For example, before you place his food dish down have him sit. Place the dish onto the floor but do not allow him to immediately began eating.  He must be given the okay from you first.  If he rushes at the dish, block him with your body.  He must sit calmly until you release him with an "okay" or similar command of your choosing.  This feeding method needs to be used with ALL food and treats.  When you feed Kyzir, make sure that it is AFTER you and other family members have eaten.  In fact, it is also recommended that you make a snack and eat it just before you feed him while he watches.  You also need to reassertyour leader position in other ways.  Always walk through doorways or up/down stairs before Kyzir.  Do not allow him up on the furniture or any other raised surface higher than what you yourself lay/sit on. This includes your bed or sofa.  Also, always ignore your dog for a few minutes after leaving and returning to the house or the room he is in.  If he is excited when you get home, ignore him for as long as it takes for him to become calm.  Always greet your guests firsts and have them ignore Kyzir until you are ready for him to greet them.  Also, make him sit or follow a similar command before you or a guest: pets, plays with, walks, or feeds him.  Playing should be when YOU determine and not when he wants to play.  You should initiate and end the game when you decide. Do not play tug-of-war due to the fact that he may win.  This would convey to him that you are weaker than he is.  Make sure that he knows give, or drop it, or leave it or a similar command as anything he has is subject to you having first dibs on it.  He should not own anything and you should have the ability to take anything away from him without ANY protest (i.e.- when he chewed faster and put his ears back he was being defiant).  Also, when you walk him make sure that you call him to you when you place him on his leash.  Remember to make him sit or follow some other command before you attach his leash.  Walk through the door before him and make sure he is calm before allowing him to follow.  He should be beside or behind you during his walks.  He may be allowed to sniff or eliminate his wastes only when and where YOU allow him to.  If he pulls on the leash snap it to the side pulling him off balance.  If he continues or gets too excited stop and make him sit until he is calm.  Do not call him to get him walking again, instead just began walking yourself, he should instinctively follow.

Good luck- remember, do not modify YOUR behavior for him, he must modify HIS behavior for you!

Quoting marshallsmommy:

ok to anwer the questions..... yes he is free feed there is always food in his bowl. i am the pack leader since i am the one here all the time... there has been some changes my hubby is home for RR ( he is military) we have been gone more than usual as well. we give him as much attention as he always gets. he does get some table food, but it always goes into his food bowl. when i cought him eating my sandwhich off the table. i said no! firmly. he chewed faster and then pulled his ears back he knows he is not allowed near the table while food is on the table. he went to his cage ( he put himself there) so i am not sure what is going on with him. nothing much has changed other than hubby coming home. we have had more people over due to the hoildays but he loves people, maybe the attention he got from all the other people and now he isnt, could that be the issue with him???

Quoting KeeleyDawn:

marshallsmommy
by Member on Jan. 5, 2009 at 1:33 PM

i do most of these things, some of them i have not tried, i will start the ones i wasnt doing today. what time do you think i should feed him? thank you so much for your help.......i guess he is getting t ohis teenage years where he is going to test his limits.... so thank you for hte helpful suggestions. i will start today. he hasnt taken anything off the table since the snadwhich. he does what he  knows he is supposed to he lays down while there is food on the counter or table. he doesnt beg  ( he knows better) so maybe with the hints that you gae me i can get his behavior better than it is ( even though he is a good a nd obieant dog most of the time)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)