Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shopping at the discount grocery store is not always cost effective

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 437 Total Views

My husband learned this yesterday when we went grocery shopping at thanks to my coupons we got 10 containers of yoplait yogurt for the cost of 2 and they were only $0.60 each.  For a long time we shopped at a grocery store called Aldis.  Now there food is just as good as name brand but after taking stock of what we like to eat in our family I realized that shopping their is not always so cost effective.  My husband wasn't so sure when I told him this.  

Take yogurt for example.  My kids and I love yogurt.  The like the kind I eat more than the kind created for kids.  At Aldis there isn't much of a variety and the only kind they have that we like is the lime flavored.  After awhile you get tired of eating the same flavor so most of it just sits until it gets old and needs to be thrown out which to me is throwing money in the trash.  Utilizing coupons and getting the name brand stuff we save money and there is more of a variety which means there won't be any containers sitting wasting away in the back of the fridge.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twin1563
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM
I agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

And after years of eating generic cereal, that fist bite of name brand (that you got cheaper) is heaven.

gingergarcia
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I agree you can get alot of name brand items on sale for really good deals with coupons at times!

mommyofjays
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Quoting twin1563:

I agree.

Me too.

peasterpeach
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM
We used to shop at aldi too,now I'm addicted to couponing and .only shop aldi for milk,eggs and spices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mothercardinal
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I still shop at Aldis for some nonperishable items.  There can's of soup for cooking with(Cream of mushroom and cream of chicken)are awesome.  I find I don't need to add salt to my dishes that I use these soups for.  We also get our meat from there.  Everything else we get at Cub or Rainbow, depending on which store is having the better sales that week.

isaboo22
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Funny that you posted this. I used to shop at Aldi all the time before I started couponing as it was cheaper. But the kids DID get tired of the same old stuff. Then i started couponing and found that with coupons, although I had to increase my shopping due to kids getting older and hubby home more, it costs me the same. Now yesterday, i did hit Aldi for a few frozen things I needed (and it was closest to where I was at the time), I didn't even fill the Aldi cart and stil costs me like $105...and I didn't even get everything I needed. If I went to a regular store, with coupons, I would have gotten everything I needed and spent about $130.

sandie66
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I actually like Aldi, but I don't go there very often and I don't think I've ever spent more than $20 or $30. I only go there for non-coupon things. I know that my favorite cheese, Jarlesberg is $15/lb at Target, $10.49/lb at Winn Dixie and only $6.49/lb at Aldi. That is definitely one thing I buy when I go. And the other things I buy are like baking items and specialty items that are imported from Europe.

Mothercardinal
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

That is another reason I started couponing.  The last time we actually bought all of our groceries at Aldis, it cost us $103 which is what we would have paid at a non discount gorcery store before coupons.  Plus the amount we got was the same as if we had went elsewhere.

Quoting isaboo22:

Funny that you posted this. I used to shop at Aldi all the time before I started couponing as it was cheaper. But the kids DID get tired of the same old stuff. Then i started couponing and found that with coupons, although I had to increase my shopping due to kids getting older and hubby home more, it costs me the same. Now yesterday, i did hit Aldi for a few frozen things I needed (and it was closest to where I was at the time), I didn't even fill the Aldi cart and stil costs me like $105...and I didn't even get everything I needed. If I went to a regular store, with coupons, I would have gotten everything I needed and spent about $130.

Maleac
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 2:52 AM
I am not a snob.... But years ago I stopped buying generic or " cheap" bargain brand food.... The name brand stuff always tastes better IMO :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)