Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello Everyone!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 126 Total Views

Hi, My name is Tina and I have just joined this group! I am a mom of 2 and recently decided to stay home which is a strain on our finances.I have just begun to coupon and want to learn all I can so as to save as much money as possible each month. Any suggestions for me will be appreciated!!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
kimberlync
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Tina! Welcome to the group! I am a stay at home mom as well, so I know about the financial strain. I started couponing back in November and I've already saved over $500. My biggest trip was a few weks ago..i went to Harris Teeter and spent $28 for $101 worth of groceries..needless to say I did a little happy dance at the register lol.

Your first thing should be to decide where you're going to get your coupons from. I get all of mine from my Sunday paper. I buy two papers every week. This seems like a lot of money, but when you see that you have $100 or more worth of coupon savings in each paper it's well worth the investment. Some people print all of their coupons. I personally won't spend $30 to replace my printer ink lol. A lot of people use both the paper and print coupons online. It's all up to you. Stocking up on coupons is so important.

I also clip every single coupon I find. Some people only clip the ones for items they normally use, but I like to clip them all, and the things I don't use I give to local charities or friends and family. Once you have your coupons ready you'll want some type of organization system. I use a 3" binder to store my coupons, others use a small coupon organizer that you can find at most stores for no more than $1.

In order to find the deals every week I use CouponMom.com. She lists all of the weekly deals by state, so I just choose my state, look at the list of stores, and the sale prices, and create my shopping list off the sales. She also lists where you can find each coupon (i.e. Sunday paper insert, printable coupon online), which makes it so much easier to know what coupons are available for each item. She also has a great "How To Coupon" section that goes into awesome detail about how to start couponing.

Another thing I do, or don't do, is buy items without a coupon unless it's an absolute necessity. Like toilet paper, you can't really do without toilet paper, so if I don't have a coupon I simply go to CouponMom, find what stores in my area have toilet paper the cheapest, then buy the cheapest brand I can find.

I'm also not brand loyal. If I can get another brand cheaper because of a sale and coupon, I'm getting a different brand. Also, if you have any stores in your area that offer store loyalty cards, be sure to grab them. Most stores have sales specifically for loyalty card holders, so make sure you have them for every available store.

Also, make sure you learn each of your stores coupon policies. You can normally find these on the store's website, but if not just ask customer service at the store.

Really, it's just a matter of experience. The more you coupon the better you'll get. And I have to say, couponing is a major addiction lol. My biggest excitement each week is going grocery shopping. It's always a thrill to see just how low I can get my grocery bill each week lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)