Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner while on the road

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:40 PM
  • 35 Replies

How do you manage dinner when on road trips?

My family avoids restaurants because they are too costly. When we are on the road for 16 hour trips they are usually at night so kids sleep, but when they are awake we  do crackers, cheese, lunch meat, and fruit. One dinner if the kids are getting restless.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KTMOM
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM

If we do not stop somewhere for the night by dinnertime we do sometimes eat at a restaurant, but somewhere that is healthy and reasonable. 

tazdvl
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM

We do both. We like to eat at rest areas so the girls can run around a little but if the weather isn't nice then we go to a restaurant.

Peajewel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:15 PM

We will do lunch meats and stuff but if we are going to be gone for some time we may stop for a bit to eat.  If we are going to be gone for awhile and we are not camping, we stay at a place where we can have the continental breakfast, I pack foods for lunches (we make sure we get a hotel room with a fridge) and then we will eat dinner out. 

sstepph
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM

We sometimes pack things and sometimes we stops. Depends time of day and how hungry we are!

TigerofMu
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 11:27 AM

We always pack a cooler with snacks and water.  It takes too much time and $ to eat while traveling.

Quoting cowgirls10181:

How do you manage dinner when on road trips?

My family avoids restaurants because they are too costly. When we are on the road for 16 hour trips they are usually at night so kids sleep, but when they are awake we  do crackers, cheese, lunch meat, and fruit. One dinner if the kids are getting restless.

fryshannon34
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

We always just stop and eat at a restaurant

Mom2Jack04
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Usualy any road trips are along the I90 in NY state, PA and sometimes Ohio....there are rest stops with fast food places in them.  We will eat there or pack our food

Ashlynnsmommy07
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM

depends on how long the trip is. We usually stop for food.

Pnukey
by Member on Feb. 11, 2011 at 11:26 PM

We usually just drive through somewhere until we're stopping for the night. We'll have dinner then.

momoflilangel
by on Feb. 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM

we eat out but at affordable places

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)