Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 inches of snow....

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

Shuts down the entire mid state of TN,  apparently.  ugh.  I was lucky to get out of work (25 miles north of my home) and get home before the roads got bad.  Now.... my poor husband has been trying to get home (a 30 mile drive north of home) for about two hours and ended up stopping (he was riding with a co-worker) for dinner and God knows when they will make it home. :(

We rarely get any amount of snow,  and when we do it is insane because there are like TWO plows/salt trucks for the entire mid state area.  This winter has been a totally different story though.  More snow in one winter than I have seen in the 13 yrs I have lived here.  I grew up in MI where we had road prep being done staring early in the wee hours of the morning,  so this was never an issue.  School is already canceled for tomorrow (our 8th snow day,  out of 10 built-in snow days before they have to start making them up). 

Do you live in and area that gets a ton of snow?  Are they prepared?  Do you live in and area like me,  where they do not get a lot of snow and everything gets pretty much shut down until it melts??

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fryshannon34
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Oh boy lucky you!We just had 17 inches of snow last week!I bet if you arent used to it there it is probably a big deal! Just drive safely and stay home if possible!

tazdvl
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I live in MI. You guys have had more snow days then us.

KTMOM
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:40 PM

My family and friends up in MI have had anywhere from 10-20 inches of snow,  I know!!!  it is just so crazy here!!  I LIKE snow,  don't get me wrong,  I just wish my husband was home safe and then I would not be so worried!

Peajewel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Three inches is nothing in Ohio.  But where you live makes a huge diffference.  Our salt trucks are out and salting the roads before the snow even hits. 

sstepph
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Wow. We ALWAYS Get snow, they never shut down for 3 inches lol. We get 3 inches like 3 times a week ~ lol. They keep the roads pretty well. Our road on the other hand is not as great cause were on a mountain but thats expected.

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Three inches is a mere nuisance here. When you are not use to it, it's a big difference though. We got that a couple of days ago. However, we are use to driving in way worse conditions.

I live in Western New York (Buffalo suburbs) and I love when the Lake Effect snow kicks up! It's perfectly awesome!

Living in the suburbs we are better prepared than the city ever is or will be.

TigerofMu
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM

We are usually pretty prepared for snow.  In fact, so far this year, while I have seen other areas of the state have closures or no unnecessary travel, our particular stretch of road has not been listed this way, even when it's been really bad.  

My parents called the other day to tell me they were having a snow day the next day because a storm was expected.  Texas also shuts down when snow/freezing rain comes...

Mom2Jack04
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Like Wyld i'm in a suburb of Buffalo and 3 inches is like a dusting here. 

Mom2jngnc
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I am East of Mom2jack and Wyld, near Syracuse.

3" is only a dusting ;) A friend of mine got pulled over in Fairfx, VA her first winter down there. She got up, got ready and started her drive in. Apparently the 2" of snow they had shut everything down... she was heading in for her job as a teacher.

KTMOM
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 9:37 PM

yeah, here in middle TN,  we get maybe one snow (like 2-4 inches) a YEAR,  so it is not like they keep salt trucks and plows. 

It took my husband over FOUR hours to get home last night.  30 miles.  ugh.  At least he made it home safely! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)