Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hello Ladies, 

I am April I live in Ky and I have on 18 month old son and another son on the way due in July. I was just recently invited to this site and I have to say I love it. I am a scrapbooker and I can counter cross stitch. I am not super devoted like you ladies. You guys rock. I try to but it is so hard finding the time and no little hands trying to sneak in. So I have to projects during nap times and bed times or on weekends if there is time. You guys are awesome and you projects blow my mind. 

I always wanted to quilt and I just never had a sewing machine to do them on. But this mothers day I am thinking of asking my hubby for one. So can any of you ladies give me some advice on a good machine for quilting and other projects. I cannot spend 1000 + dollars but maybe 300 or 400 if I can sweet talk my hubby. I just want something durable and will not cause me more hassle then its worth. I want to make some memory quilts. I tried using my friend sewing machine just to make halloween costumes and it was just a pain her tension would mess up every time I turned it on. Its like I spent more time fixing the tension then anything and I got upset and just stopped. I know I am not that good at using a machine but I took a couple days to practice and learn the machine and it just seem to be more a of a pain. She did have a real cheap machine so I do not know if that had something to do with it. My mom said I could have my mom grandmothers old singer but the tension needs fixed and I do not know what kind it is.  BUt advice would be helpful. And anyone know of any good book on sewing or magazine on sewing and learning more and also quilting. I love to research before i get into things. 

All advice is welcome. Thanks ladies and I hope to post some projects soon. :) 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmom0715
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Welcome. I m new on here too. I just joined a week ago.  Im due in July also :)   and a scapbooker.   as far as sewing machines Im not really sure.  I use my mother in laws if I need one.  I don't have the room for one but check online.  I find good deals on amazon or craigs.  the only other places I know of that sells them are michaels and wal mart. I don't know what kind of stores you have your way I m in Ohio. sorry I m not much help.  hope to see some of work on here. :)

McPhillipsGang
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM

You are fine. Not everyone has the answers hehe! I just do not want to go and buy something that might not be the right thing or someone just trying to talk me into something more expensive or something I do not need. My mom is suppose to look up the model number and so on on my grandmas but until then I just want to get some ideas. :) 

That is cool that you live in Ohio and I live in KY and we both are due in July and like scrapping hehe! Small world 

Quoting newmom0715:

Welcome. I m new on here too. I just joined a week ago.  Im due in July also :)   and a scapbooker.   as far as sewing machines Im not really sure.  I use my mother in laws if I need one.  I don't have the room for one but check online.  I find good deals on amazon or craigs.  the only other places I know of that sells them are michaels and wal mart. I don't know what kind of stores you have your way I m in Ohio. sorry I m not much help.  hope to see some of work on here. :)

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Welcome to the group! I'm Cody. If you are just wanting to practice sewing and see if you like it, go to Walmart and get a Singer. Just because they are affordable (under $300) doesn't mean they are cheap! Several of my friends have very basic model Singers and absolutely love them, use them all the time, no complaints. If you get really into it ask for an upgrade at Christmas time! lol!

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Welcome to the group, I just joined today.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Welcome to you, too, Raeann11!!

Quoting Raeann11:

McPhillipsGang
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM

The reason I asked for a good sewing machine is bc I know once I get one we will will not be able to afford to just upgrade. I wish it could be like that but it just cant. I want to learn how to sew and to quilt on it. I do not want to just play around with it from time to time so I want to be serious on the machine and serious about learning. I know time is not on my side but I really want to try and I think learning to make clothes would be nice since I am having kids. Would even be nice to make my own clothes. I have nothing against machines from walmart but the one my friend had was very cheap.  I wanta good machine that I can use and I do not have to upgrade in a couple months. 

mommytohuddy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Welcome to group! There are levels of devotion within the group, so I am sure you will find your place. I am also wanting to learn to quilt and the ladies here have provided some great tips. Remember to share your work with us all, we love seeing new things and gaining inspiration!

mommytohuddy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM

welcome!

Quoting Raeann11:

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Ah, I understand that! Like I said, some of my friends have Singers, they are affordable and sturdy, and hold up great to lots of use. I think Sears also has some decent machines, I'm not sure if they are the same in each store or not. I hope someone has more in-depth advice for you! Maybe post a separate post asking for what type of machine would be good to buy?

jridgill
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM
Hey hey hey :)

Quoting Raeann11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)